1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cigar Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jan 12, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are Cohiba Dominicans and Cohiba Cubans. My dad always said that soon after the revolution most Cuban great cigar makers left the country, and started making Cuban cigars in other countries of similar climates. And that the women in Tampa who rolled the cigars were the best. Still, I bought the Cuban Cohiba’s and upon researching them found I didnt get fake ones. But yeah, I like them. I just want to keep them around and dont know how to do it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm definitely more of a bourbon drinker than scotch drinker. With scotch, I'm mostly a fan of the Islays - Lagavulin, Ardberg, LaPhroaig. The more it tastes like a campfire, the better.

Abelour A'bundadh is high-proof whisky and really well-reviewed, for the most part. I imagine it's good. It's also well-marketed, though, around a couple gimmicks about batch sizes, etc.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have a humidor, so I don't know how you do it another way, but @playthrough's solution sounds right to me. I would guess he means loose (cigars are loose in a humidor) but better to double check. They will dry out otherwise.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, put in bag loose. Save box for your grandkids. Every visit to my grandfather's house meant cigar boxes.

5. typefitter

There we go. We've done some good work here today, friends.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I was going to ask how you got to Cuba, but I think you are from Canada. I went in December--cruise ship, for a very short stay. 1 1/2 days. Fascinating place and I hope to go back again. What do you think of it? I was amazed at the quantity of classic cars, we were told there is 60,000. Seems like a lot but we did see a ton in Havana where they are used for employment.

8. typefitter

Yeah, I'm Canadian. We can just go. I love Havana. I don't really do anything. I go for long walks, hang out in bars, swim in the pool, smoke a cigar. It's just a beautiful city to hang out in. Hemingway's house is also ridiculously cool to visit.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd be too afraid of sonic attacks.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I will have to go to the house next time. We did the touristy things like the Tropicana. I talked to the travel agent when we got back she asked if we went out our own because she had received word that we should not have, though I know many did. I hope things can improve there, would love to see what they have restored rather than shiny gold--trump style--buildings go up.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Poverty tourism is disgusting.

Every loonie you spent helped to prop up a murderous, dictatorial regime, that people have died trying to escape.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. typefitter

That's why I'm only traveling to the US for work anymore.

Slacker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted