1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cigar Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jan 12, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

93D2C53A-A4AE-4EBA-83D4-F16A169BE945.jpeg I just came back from vacation where I made a spur of the moment purchase. How can I keep these fresh without buying a humidor. I only bought a box of 10. Mrs Abbott was standing right there, she watched me buy them without batting an eye.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ziploc freezer-size bag. Put in bag along with a sponge -- soak it then wring it out before putting in bag. Poor man's humidor.

3. heyabbott

Put the loose cigars or the box with the cigars in the bag?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Only fat-fuck turistas smoke Cohibas.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ask Bill.

6. heyabbott

Now you tell me? I deluded myself into liking them. Oh well.

7. Dick Whitman

Someone posted an excerpt from a travel piece recently in which someone wrote that "fat-fuck turistas" smoke Cohibas. I'd never heard of Cohibas until then. Imagine that Cohibas in Cuba is kind of like beelining to Wrigley Field when you visit Chicago for the first time.

I don't know shit about cigars, by the way.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Cohibas are a nice cigar, but they do have a certain "cachet" in part because they're expensive, and they're famous enough so that people who don't know cigars buy them, because they've heard they're good. (If you buy them on the street in Havana, they're likely other cigars with counterfeit bands on them, like fake LV bags in New York.) I just like certain cheaper cigars more. But cigars are like wine. Different people like different things, and people who smoke cigars usually have a variety of them, different tastes and sizes, because it's a rare bird who always wants to smoke the same thing.

EDIT: Did you go to Cuba, 'yab?

9. heyabbott

No. Went to Dominican Republic. My dad was a huge cigar smoker but I had rarely indulged. They were selling cigars at the resort. A guy lights one and gives it to me to smoke. I liked it a lot. Maybe I should have been more alert to Dominican cigars, but Cohiba was The brand of cuban cigars. So I bought a box. Even though I negotiated 30% off the price, I’m sure I over paid. Still, a very nice cigar.

10. Dick Whitman

It seems like with any kind of hobby like this, there's a progression people go through where they begin by wanting to buy the most expensive and/or well-known brand, but after a while take pride in finding bargains that are just as good. (And save a few bucks in the process.)

You start off drinking Jim Beam bourbon. You've heard of it!

You move onto Woodford Reserve. It's kind of expensive. And elegantly packaged!

You marry Old Forrester.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I believe the Cohibas sold in DR are made in the DR from Dominican tobacco—so they can be sold in and imported legally to the US. You have to buy them in Cuba (or Canada, say) for them to be made of Cuban tobacco. A Cuban Cohiba in a store up here is, like, $40 for the cheapest one, going up to hundreds of dollars. The same cigar might cost you a few bucks in Cuba. Usually about 10 percent of the Canadian price.

I used to go down to Havana for a long weekend, buy my limit in cigars (two boxes) and make money on the trip. So "overpaid" is a relative term.

The bottom line is, do you like them? Yes? Then great.

12. heyabbott

Have you had this: Aberlour A’bunadh?
    IS this pouser scotch or just the good stuff?

Draft saved Draft deleted