1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ciao, John Bolton ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 4, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Chris, I'm sure you got past grade two. Read the second paragraph of the Times article I quoted.

Last time I checked "intimidate" is pretty synonymous with 'bullying".

Oh, and Chris, fuck off. No one was actually talking to you.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Which he's best able to do with a good working relationship with world leaders, right?

Or am I missing something. Like where the word "diplomatic" got its present connotation?

3. Me fuck off? John Bolton is the ambassador of MY country - not YOURS. Go start a Canadian ambassador thread jackass.

And I could say that you suffer from impotence just as Annan said Bolton was trying to intimidate but without concrete examples to back it up - it is just an unfounded assertion. And considering what a criminal Annan is - I take his assertions with more than a grain of salt.

Pope asked you to cite an example of Bolton being a bully and you later said Bolton had a history of being a bully. We are still waiting for you to cite an example where Bolton bullied someone in word or deed. You said it - now back it up.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

We don't know the circumstances or the context of the supposed "intimidation." Kofi Annan's whining does not mean it was bullying.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Amazing, two posts that generally arrive at the same point. Post No. 1 is full of useless yelling and screaming by a caveman, and Post No. 2 is coherent, reasoned, and lacking entirely in vitriol.

Amazing.

6. Yeah amazing.

And yet still no response from JR who just feels free to call the representatives of the US names wthout proof and then changes the subject or calls people names when called on it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

diplomat:

1. a person appointed by a national government to conduct official negotiations and maintain political, economic, and social relations with another country or countries.
    2. a person who is tactful and skillful in managing delicate situations, handling people, etc.

I don't think John Bolton fits these definitions

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Chris,

Actually, you're right. See, Bolton couldn't really press his agenda or intimidate much anyone because, for various reasons, including the personality and reputation of John Bolton, no one in the UN much gives a screw what he thinks or says. This why Chavez can waltz in there, pretend he sniffs the devil, and nancy about without any true recourse.

See, that's why the appointment was what we call ineffective. It was an FU to the UN, the UN said FU right back, and now we're a couple years away from total chaos and goobers on the Security Council. The Bush Ad, fueled by Karl Rove, lives in a high school and college debate universe where a perception can be presented as reality, and, in a vacuum, becomes such. I really truly believe that's the world Rove lives in, a total vacuum, in which all decisions and movements can be made within a narrow, theoretical paradigm that bears no resemblance to the real world.

And so we had Bolton, a tough guy suited for some things, but not the UN. He looks like a cartoon character, blusters about in his blunt manner, and generally looks and acts about smooth at Jimmy Carter in Those Days. Look at the UN - it's crazier than ever. Bolton was supposed to improve the climate. He didn't. End of story.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Thank God this disgrace has been gotten rid of. Want to hear a really salacious rumor involving Bolton? Supposedly he lost his first wife over his wanting her to participate in group sex at some retreat or something. She, of course, declined, much to Johnny's chagrin. Can't confirm this, but I remember reading it recently. I.e., I'm not making the rumor up. If that's true, what a joke. Don't let the door hit ya, John . . .

10. Alma - are you really trying to blame the UN being a clusterfuck on John Bolton?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bolton probably was an asshole. He was probably difficult to deal with. But considering the UN bends over backwards for criminals, liars, and thugs, and is supportive of anything anti-American, and is as corrupt as Nixon ever was, I have no doubt he was probably the right guy to be there. The UN is a joke anymore. Good idea, just like communism is on paper, but unfailingly bad anymore in practice. I can only hope that the next secretary general can clean up that mess and make it a better body of diplomats than it currently is, with a stronger moral compass and more honest leadership.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the person that broke that was Larry Flynt:

(And let's face it, Flynt did a pretty good job digging up dirt on the hypocritical GOP triumvirate of Gingrich, Barr and Livingstone.)

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0505/S00240.htm

On the other hand, here are 11 reasons that allegation actually makes him qualified to be the USA's representative to the UN (from this site):

11. Forcefully leveraged relationship to fulfill self-interested policy.

10. He loves everyone he meets.

9. He's open-minded to new positions.

8. Understands the role of women in fundamentalist regimes.

7. Equipped with 'flavor-saver' moustache to recall all with whom he has met.

6. His advocacy of the administration's abstinence-only approach to population growth, HIV/AIDS is a joke that translates well.

5. He's happy to act unilaterally when he sees everyone else is screwing each other.

4. He's a multi-lateral rather than bi-lateral thinker.

3. Offers cheerful, nostalgic defense of naked pyramids at Abu Ghraib.

2. Bush's second choice is Neil Horsley, his third choice is Dr. David Hagar, his fourth choice is Jeff Gannon, etc.

1. Bush wants someone who will put the "ass" in "ambassador."

Draft saved Draft deleted