1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church vs. state in fired teacher's case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 6, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

An interesting debate in the Supreme Court: A teacher who worked for a church claims she was fired after getting sick and taking a leave of absence. Does the SCOTUS have the authority to rule in this case, or would that violate seperation of church and state?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/supreme-court-debates-church-and-state-boundary-in-fired-teachers-case/2011/10/05/gIQAN6PpOL_story.html

Discuss.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Churches don't have immunity from federal laws that protect workers and/or the disabled.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You cannot pick and choose when you want to be treated like a public school employee.

If private schools want to offer special education and be under the scrutiny of No Child Left Behind, then we will discuss treating them like a public school.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I see a narrowly-tailored decision, because you can't apply a sweeping doctrine on religious schools that aren't uniform in character.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They should.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interesting case. Seems the trickiest part is that she took on some ministerial functions and was not just a lay teacher.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If she got fired because she invoked ADA, she's got a case.

If she got fired from "being a minister", I have to agree with Scalia.

Either way, sounds like the school/church are a bunch of dicks.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Put me down for this too, Bubbly.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, they really shouldn't.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A group that does not pay taxes or receive funds from the government should not be able to cry to the government.

Yeah, I want to teach with no rules and no government interference... lalalalalala...
    Oh wait, I think I was wronged by my employer who gave me all these freedoms from the government? GOVERNMENT!!!! I NEED YOU!!!

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The teacher pays taxes. It's the church that doesn't.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What on earth is your rationale for that?

Draft saved Draft deleted