1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Noll - Gone and Forgotten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 18, 2011.

1. He was also a guest conductor of the symphony orchestra.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Every head football coach has a system - some better and more obvious than others.

Noll was able to find players who could do what he wanted.

Regardless of his overall record it's hard to argue with 4 Super Bowls.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm not arguing with four Super Bowls. I'm making another point.

The closest thing Noll had to a "system" was he favored intelligent players. Let's not get carried away here with the idea that Noll single-handedly put together the great personnel of the '70s. In those days there were still draft sleepers and surprises, and the Steelers had scouts with contacts at the small black schools who could find an L.C. Greenwood on the 10th round, a John Stallworth on the fourth round and an undrafted Donnie Shell.

There's also a story -- this one verified -- that Noll wanted to pick Robert Newhouse over Franco Harris in 1972. The personnel people won that battle, for which I'm sure Noll was ultimately grateful.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You seem to be trying very hard to dismiss the four Super Bowls while making your point.

Nobody said that Noll single-handedly put those teams together. The Steelers were ahead of much of the league when it came to scouting, but he also had a very large role in personnel decisions. Just because he was wrong on Newhouse does not mean he deserves no credit for helping to put those teams together and, more importantly, develop all of those Hall of Famers.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

One missing ingredient to Noll's success you're all missing: steroids.

6. outofplace

Only if you believe the rest of the NFL wasn't using them, too.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Pretty sure Rozelle let the Steelers get away with more than the other teams.

8. outofplace

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_462321.html
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2009/01/steelers_and_steroids_1.html
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_328813.html
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/8322840

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty typical of the pitiful "I know you are but what am I" type third grade response we've all come to expect from you.....

And yes, you make such a good point because I'm sure every Dolphins fan out there that you know is rooting for the Jets to win and would get excited by the prospects of two more weeks of Rex Ryan and company, not too mention people waxing poetic about Joe Namath ...... ::)

Secrtariat and many other are right - you do suck at life.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Zag if it's Cutler vs. Steelers what do you root for?

normally i would root Jets-Pack but i really can't stand Fat Rex ao i don't know who to root for in that game. i've got a few buddies who've had Jets season tic for over 20 yrs so i want the Jets to win for them but the fat guy just rubs me the wrong way.

12. outofplace

Two days to respond and that is the best you could come up with? If you're going to try to steer us back into locking territory, at least make it entertaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted