1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck: "I was a Republican - until they lost their minds."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

NY Post item

July 20, 2006 -- THE reverb is still echoing over Dan Quayle's walkout in the middle of a John Mellencamp concert in Lake Tahoe last weekend. The singer-songwriter introduced his tune "Wall Talk" by announcing, "This next one is for all the poor people who've been ignored by the current administration." As Quayle exited, the former veep explained, "I didn't appreciate the comment, and besides, I didn't think the show was very good." But Mellencamp said he couldn't care less that Quayle got his knickers in a twist: "I certainly wouldn't have changed a word." NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley backed Mellencamp, saying, "He's right." While that may sound odd coming from a former conservative, Barkley told a local reporter, "I was a Republican - until they lost their minds." Quayle, known for his great golf game, served as veep under President Bush's father from 1989-'93.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What a shame it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow, if you lose Charles, you're pretty much fucked.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And another Libertarian is born.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This was actually a D_B, but after five pages of threads I gave up. Too damned lazy.

So I guess it's not a D_B after all.

Still, it's fun to see Quayle punked.

6. I appreciated it, DS.
    Very well-played, sir.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Mellencamp is known for terrible live shows, ::)

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Whether you think he'd be a complete screwup or not as governor, you've got to admit one thing -- the campaign, with Charles saying whatever in the hell popped into his head, would be a load of fun.

10. Not to hijack the thread, but while I haven't seen Cougar/Mellencamp in nearly 20 years, the one I did was pretty damn strong.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hell just the other day you had the Republican Senate Candidate from Maryland saying having the "R" next to his name is a detriment. Things are bad in the GOP.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

No shit. If I lived in Alabama, I would be very tempted to vote for Sir Charles just for the entertainment factor. And he would probably do no worse of a job than the last couple of governors there. The last Democrat (Don Siegleman) was a crook and the Republican before him (Fob James) was a total dumb-ass. Barkley is fairly bright and he's too rich to be crooked.

Draft saved Draft deleted