1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Colson, dead at 80

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 21, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Seems a bit excessive as a means of trying to convert people. I can't imagine a religious group going to greater lengths to accomplish such a goal.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fuck Colson, one of Darth Milhous's Scarlet Guards of the Sith.

And the fact he became a Jeebus-slurper later in life doesn't scrub his crooked ass clean one little bit.

Everybody finds the J-Man (or his Uncle Allah) when the doors slam shut.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Aaaaaand scene.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I knew this was coming. I knew this was coming and I still thought it was hilarious.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

CUBT is gold.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you made me welcome,

lacking clothes and you clothed me, sick and you visited me, in prison and you came to see me."

RIP

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Colson deserves an RIP, and from me he will receive one. BUT -- I get sooooo tired of these people who do horrible, unkind, nasty, criminal, and downright stupid crap, go to prison to pay their debt to society, and then find Jesus, God, Allah, whoever, in prison, and then come out treating the rest of us like there is something wrong with *us* because we have not converted!!!

I do not have much to say to or do with those kind of people who spend the conversation from second one trying to evangelize. It just bugs me. If he believed it worked from his perspective and he believed he was doing good work and will wind up in Heaven for it, fine. Good for him. But leave the rest of us who did not care for you, your crimes, or your conversion alone!!

I personally find such conversions to be as phony as an eighth day or a $7 bill.

I know this will be appreciated by some and inflame others. But that is just how I feel.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am with you BN, but I am cynical about religion -- which I consider fairy tales that adults talk themselves into believing -- in general.

I suppose anyone deserves an RIP. But I don't feel all that kindly toward Charles Colson just because he died. I am not sure his involvement in Watergate put him at the top of the list of criminals, but his involvement in just about every other aspect of the Nixon administration did.

In particular, the enemy's list, is the thing I find most disgusting. I understand politics, but at what point do people lose their moral compasses completely? It was abuse of power at its worst, and it is why to me Richard Nixon was the worst president during my lifetime, and that won't likely change. He essentially used the trappings of his power -- which he was entrusted with -- to "screw" his perceived enemies (and he was paranoid), by sending the IRS after them, using the Justice Department, infiltrating private meetings and I tremor to think about what worse things happened that we don't know about -- to what extent was the FBI, under the direction of Nixon and Colson doing extralegal things that trampled on people's civil liberties? It's not idle speculation. From what we do know, these were power-hungry, paranoid, abusive people who didn't give second thought to fucking with people's lives.

And that is why I feel so strongly about Nixon. I was really young, but Watergate, and his resignation, are among my earliest memories. It's hard to overstate how lost the country was because of what he did -- and the hangover that lasted for quite a long time. People really had doubts about whether our system of government can be trusted to work. And there is a cynicism about government and people in power -- and I am as guilty as anyone -- that remains, and it is very largely due to what Charles Colson did as Nixon's hatchet man.

RIP, I guess. It doesn't change that he did some really crummy things.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. Repent and everything is forgiven. Right.

I get that he spent the rest of his life trying to atone for the first half of his life. But whitewashing it because of his religious conversion is either dishonest or delusional. Probably both.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Unless you aren't Christian.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Throwing Granny under the bus for Tricky Dick won't get you in the Pearly Gates.

Draft saved Draft deleted