1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Berry falls ill at show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jan 2, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/ct-live-0103-chuck-berry-review-20110102,0,1957931.story

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Someone I know saw Berry on New Year's Eve at BB King's in NYC and sid he was great.
    But 2 shows in New York one day and another in Chicago the next night might be a little too much for an 84-year-old

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Should've had cousin Marvin and his band, the Starlighters, play the second gig.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I cannot fathom a world in which I'd pay to see an 84-year-old perform.

Good for him in doing it, though. Hope he recovers.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

BTW, if spnited comes out and calls you old...

man, you're old!

:D

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

America's Troubador . .. though notorious for picking up the cheapest possible backup band he can scrape together, at each stop.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Major creative force and rock 'n' roll pioneer....and one of the most profoundly fucked-up people on the planet.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Berry should have the title Keith Richards has of being the person people are most mystified by the continued survival of.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

He is still alive? Who does he think he is, Abe Vigoda?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The year -- 1973
    Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band are booked to open for Chuck Berry & Jerry Lee Lewis and get the "honor" of being Chuck's band for the night.
    Chuck wants to meet his backing band before the show and E Street bassist Garry Talent asks "which songs do you think we'll be playing tonight?"
    Chuck Berry's response with a sneer "I guess we'll be playing some Chuck Berry songs"

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mr. Bank. Do you know what Chuck Berry said every night before counting one two three four?

What did he say?

Pay me my money!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Hope he's feeling better. Just read a fantastic Rolling Stone article about him last night. Very interesting dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted