1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Bednarik hospitalized in "serious" condition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

His public disposition makes Bob Feller look positively sunny by comparison, but here's hoping "Concrete Charlie" pulls through:

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Once read in an interview with Kathie Lee Gifford where she recalled first started dating Frank. He said she'd have to get use to people mentioning Bednarik. She asked if that was some kind of pasta.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm wondering if I'm mixing Bednarik with another old-timer. Who was the guy who did those incredibly hilarious ads for ESPN probably about a decade ago?
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Art Donovan.
  5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Member

First football game I ever saw in person was a Penn/Cornell game on Thanksgiving day and Chuck Bednarik was the star for Penn in that game.

Get well wishes to Concrete Charlie...
  6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I am good friends with his granddaughter and will try to speak with her tonight.
    I hope he pulls through.
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah - that's who I thought as well. He was just in that Fox opening to Super Bowl.

Donavan book - "Fatso" was a classic.
  8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bednarik got pissed off about that. Then again, everything seemed to piss him off.

He used to autograph pictures of himself standing over the KO'd Gifford with the inscription, "This fucking game is over."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

It is hard to imagine anything taking down Chuck Bednarik, even at 85. Saw something from his son-in-law who said it wasn't serious and Bednarik saying he the hell he was going stay in the hospital another day (or words to that effect).
  10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I talked to my friends, tonight, and yeah, they think everything is going to be OK at this point.
    It's funny, his granddaughter and her husband - who I am really friends with - aren't the most sports minded people. I texted him when the news broke to tell Chrissy I hoped her granddad was OK. He texted back how the F did I know about it. I said, "Dude, it's on ESPN."
Draft saved Draft deleted