1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chrysler -- alive or dead?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Looking more and more like it's dead. (Although, to be honest, they've been dead to me for a long time. This is the logical follow-through to the fact that every Chrysler product I've ever owned has suffered repeated A/C failures and one suffered a suspension failure when a seemingly-otherwise-nominal solid steel part snapped in half.)
    <blockquote>DETROIT – Even by the standards of battered automakers, Chrysler is in dire shape. Its sales in December were down a stunning 53 percent, far worse than Ford or General Motors, and analysts say it probably won't survive the year as an independent company — despite $4 billion in government loans and the possibility of more.

Things were so bad last year that a single Toyota model, the Camry/Solara midsize car, outsold the entire fleet of Chrysler LLC's passenger cars.

"Basically they're done," said Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst with the consulting company IHS Global Insight in Troy, Mich. "There is no real possibility of turning this thing around as an independent company in my opinion."

Chrysler will not comment on speculation about its future, spokeswoman Shawn Morgan said Wednesday.

"We are completely focused on our plans to ensure the future viability of our company," she said.

U.S. sales of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brand vehicles fell 30 percent last year, the worst decline of any major automaker. It lost more market share than any of its peers, down to 11 percent. Analysts say most of Chrysler's products, especially its cars, don't look, feel or drive as well as the competition's.</blockquote>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_chrysler_5

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Slapshot remake will have to be changed too.. ain't goin to the fuckin Chrysler plant no mo...

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So what happens to those of us with financing through Chrysler?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Good news, you're off the hook.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Still dead.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Both Chrysler vehicles we own have been very good to us. Our van is paid off this month without any major issues. My car (knock on wood) has been reliable as well.

I have no complaints.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

A shame, if true, because this is my favorite car of all time:

'61 New Yorker

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A merger will happen. Jeeps will continue to be built, probably Dodge trucks as well.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Packard:
    [​IMG]

Studebaker:
    [​IMG]

AMC:
    [​IMG]

Chrysler:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I believe there is some time frame that if plants stay closed the union becomes decertifield. Perhaps this is Chrysler's plan.

11. Kill the company, kill the union?

12. Jeep - brought to you by Mitsubishi!

Draft saved Draft deleted