1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chromebook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone interested in getting a Chromebook? I like the concept, but the price needs to drop to around $200.

http://www.google.com/chromebook/

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, I'm looking for a laptop for my daughter, and I found these on newegg.com. I really like the concept, too, but I just wonder how well it's going to fit what she needs. And I'm really concerned about web-based storage. Not sure I trust its security. Anybody had any experience with it yet?

Also is a point of concern that Stitch posted this 10 months ago and has had no response ...

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Web-based storage is my primary method. I don't have one of these, but I need to buy a new personal computer sometime soon. My main uses for my personal computer are word processing (Google Docs can handle that) and Web browsing. I'd seriously consider one of these as soon as I hear a little feedback about them.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If it meets your needs, go for it. But don't expect more than a tablet (that is a better web surfer) with a keyboard.

The ones they are selling commercially with Chrome OS are scaled down netbooks, running an operating system not widely used -- it is Linux, with a GUI (graphical interface) made by google thrown on top, which they rebranded Google OS or Chromium OS or Chrome OS.

Two things to note, before you buy one of these things. I just looked at a few, and they were really basic and looked to be overpriced hardware for what you were getting -- even at those low prices. Atom processors (not much more powerful than the processors in some phones and tablets), small solid-state hard drives without much capacity, 11 inch screens, not even great battery life, no camera I could see for even Skyping, let's say -- these were models selling for around $300 to $450. You can do better for that hardware.

If you really want Chromium OS running on a machine, you can just as easily find your own bargain laptop, using the same technology or even better (dated) technology -- even a used one at some of the surplus sites, with more power and more bells and whistles. And then just load Chromium onto it -- it is an open source operating system you can download for free. They don't make it easy to find it, but it's out there. I have loaded it up on machines with much more power than what they are selling commercially.

A few things about Chromium, because I have played with it. ... It is weird. The whole look is different than Windows or Mac Os X (the GUI -- or graphic interface). It is trying to have the feel of a tablet, but it is more Web-browser based. The place they went wrong is that it is built on Linux, so it really isn't even that unique, and it isn't even tied at all to Android, Google's tablet operating system, so you don't get the Android App store, which actually has filled up with apps -- some good and some bad (the Chrome App store is still really weak -- and it mostly is just icons that take you to web pages). And if you have any specific application needs you might have in a more traditional operating system, you are out of luck. Microsoft doesn't make its office suite for Chrome. Same with Adobe products. You will basically be getting the Chrome browser and any online services (within the browser) that can provide the computing needs you have -- Google apps for word processing and spreadsheets might do it, things like Flickr, Pandora, YouTube, IM programs for other basic needs.

As a web surfer that is OK, but for more?

And if you are going to do it, honestly, you can get a computer with more power refurbished that is a couple of years old that has more power than the commercial machines they are selling. One with a Core 2 process (old, but still more powerful than those Atom processors -- whose only benefit is low power consumption), way more storage space than the typical 16 gig solid state drive and something with a camera for skyping or for video chat, although I am not sure how much streaming those Atom processors are built for.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not worth the cost at $350-$400. You can find decent Windows 7 laptops at Costco or Sam's Club in the $400-$450 range.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was all jacked up about Chromebook a few months ago, and then our office had a few and I was able to take one home for a few days to see how I liked it. I REALLY wanted to like it.

Unfortunately, I hated it, and the experiment lasted one night. I didn't even bother beyond that. I found the touchpad/mouse to be really weird response-wise, and while I probably could have gotten used to it, I didn't really feel like I wanted to.

It's entirely without software, which is fine in theory, but I couldn't run even the simplest Java-based app (yeah, I know, duh).

And TBR is right, you'll miss software. Web/cloud-based "Office" didn't do it for me.

I REALLY wanted to like this, and I didn't. I was very thankful I got this loaner before Best Buy got Chromebooks in stock; I probably would have bought one had they had them.

As noted, for not much more, you can get a full-functional, pretty loaded regular laptop.

My two cents.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Might serve as a decent emergency backup if you're on deadline assignment, but as backups go the price is a little steep. I've used Google docs with increasing regularity and had no problems, but sometimes you need to write when youre not connected to the web. For my daughter, I went with a regular laptop instead after I read Ragu's post. Thanks for the input.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thanks, The Big Ragu and SF_Express. Your wisdom will steer me clear of the Chromebook.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think that's right. You don't even hear much buzz about them anymore, and I bet they're not selling that well.

Draft saved Draft deleted