1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chromebook - advantages or disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I am thinking about getting a Chromebook to use covering games and doing research on stories.

What are the good points and the bad points? What can you do and, more importantly, what can't you do?

Any input is appreciated.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm typing on one right now.

Pros, cheap, like crazy cheap (with sales tax it was $300 at Best Buy) and if you already use the google suite of products, then you won't be doing much different. I have home wifi and, of course, wifi at the office, so that's a huge plus.

If you're really going to use it on the road, I'd recommend getting a mifi or have a phone that can make a hotspot. Mostly for peace of mind as most places have wifi flowing freely.

Negatives, if you're all in love with Microsoft products or plan of doing anything past word processing, e-mail and internet surfing, the Chromebook isn't for you. If you don't have an internet connection, the thing is also pretty much a paperweight, at least in my experience.

But for my needs, it has worked out very well and I haven't had an issue finding wifi when I'm out and about.

3. I was going to chime in, but Jay pretty much covered.

Have reasonable expectations for what it can and can't do, and you'll be satisfied with your purchase. It helps if you already use a lot of Google products anyway.

I like it because it's portable, lightweight and boots quickly. Occasionally, I'll need more "firepower." But for simple posting of stories, etc., to a web-based CMS from the field, it's very handy.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You can use Microsoft Office products on a Chromebook via their web apps, right? (I ask because I'm trying to talk my wife into getting one but she uses a lot of Excel).

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You can do word processing and spreadsheets offline ... I don't think you can watch stored videos, but you can listen to music.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Thanks. All input is appreciated.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Simple and easy to use. I'm considering getting one for my parents because they are old and don't like things with lots of programs and buttons.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm sure for some people and some situations, the Chromebooks are a fine option.

I looked at them and shied away because if I'm spending that much money, I don't want to be hamstrung (at least potentially) from the first day. Things like a big-ass hard drive, a CD/DVD drive and being able to do a ton more things without regard to the rare times I'll be without wifi capability swings it to the traditional laptop every time.

On Oscar's recommendation, I checked out those $229 Toshibas at Best Buy and got one for each of my kids for Christmas. All I've done so far is some basic setup stuff, but they are pretty sweet and should be perfect for everything but gaming, which isn't what we were looking for to begin with. As has been said, you're getting a lot more computer for only $30.

9. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

I like the Chromebook because of its size. I travel a lot and all but once I have been able to leave it in my bag through the airport security checkpoints. I don't check luggage, so every pound I can save is important.

The small size also allows me to open the Chromebook fully from a coach seat and actually get some work done. Although it can be accomplished, that's tougher with a laptop and its bigger overall size, especially if the guy in front reclines his seat. I recently had a New York to Los Angeles flight and got a ton of work done with the Chromebook. Battery lasted all the way, the Chromebook synched up nicely with the plane's WiFi, and with the small dimensions I had enough room on my seat tray for the Chromebook, my notes and a beverage.

Another plus is the instant-on feature and the lack of concern about viruses and updates, etc.

I have all sorts of devices, including a 17-inch laptop, and yes, I have to take it on the road on those rare occasions when I am working on a project that absolutely requires Windows 8 software. But, 98 percent everything I need is available either through the Chrome browser or Google apps. That means the big laptop is usually left at home.

For me, the Chromebook just works. Having said that, I would not make it my only computer -- not yet.

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

You can get a Dell 15.6" laptop PC for $178

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/inspiron-15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-320gb-hard-drive/2046027.p?id=1219068380523&skuId=2046027&st=categoryid$pcmcat247400050000&cp=1&lp=16

11. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

LOL. Good stuff on the Scroogled post. Shows Microsoft has a reason to be worried.

Draft saved Draft deleted