1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christy Martin shot and stabbed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-christy-martin-shot-domestic-viole20101124,0,485297.story?page=1

I hope she recovers and that her husband does some serious time.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

wow. tough lady, flagged down a car after getting stabbed and shot and didn't realize she was shot.

forget serious time, the guy is 66, i'd bet anything he has some health problems and his lawyer will argue for leniency.
    maybe the scum bag will just put the shotgun in his mouth and pull the trigger.

3. ringer

ringer Member

I hope her husband gets help. Sounds like he was slipping off the deep end before she got home.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm in the Orlando area and caught this on the local news. Apparently the husband was in a coma a little while back after heart problems, the Martins have no money (Christy hasn't fought in years) and their house, like half the places down here, is in foreclosure. (As an aside, I noticed a house much like the one we are renting this week sold for $650 -- what we're paying to rent a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house for a week. Kissimmee -- Detroit real estate prices, with nicer weather.)

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I covered the PPV where Christy fought Mia St. John in the main event. There were literally fewer than 250 people in a stadium (Pontiac Silverdome) that held 80,000. Also, no one had noticed that the Silverdome doesn't have heat, and the card was in February. It was about 40 degrees at ringside.

Mia, being a Playboy cover girl, got her money up front. Christy, being an actual fighter, didn't get a dime. She was understandably angry - she had been promised the biggest payday of her career - but was incredibly gracious on each of the three times I interviewed her over the weekend. I hope she recovers from this and finds some better luck in life.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Police say that Martin's home was burglarized while she was in the hospital:

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/Boxer-Christy-Martin-home-burglarized-while-she-was-in-hospital-112610

Draft saved Draft deleted