1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christopher the Snowman.. errr. Showman Bowman dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 10, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I didn't mean that the way you think. The last time I saw him at a competition, he was just huge -- to the point you wonder how the hell he ever skated.

Bowman, championship skater and ex-Detroiter, found dead in motel
    Christopher Bowman, 40, won 2 U.S. men’s titles

January 10, 2008

By JO-ANN BARNAS

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Story updated at 10:18 p.m.

Former U.S. men’s figure skating champion Christopher Bowman, known as “Bowman the Showman’’ for his flamboyant personality on the ice and his oft-troubled life off it, died Thursday of a possible drug overdose in North Hills, Calif. He was 40.

Lt. Fred Corral, watch commander for Los Angeles County Coroner’s Investigation Division, said Bowman – who lived in the Detroit area from 1995 until last February -- was found dead in his motel room at the Budget Inn at 12:06 p.m. It is not known if his death was accidental or suicide, Corral said. An autopsy is planned for today.
    Bowman’s mother, Joyce, told the Free Press: “He just passed away in his sleep. His friend told me that he was fine. He just went to bed and didn’t wake up.”

Bowman, a former child actor, won two U.S. men’s figure skating titles, in 1989 and 1992, and was a two-time medalist at the world championships. Bowman also competed at the 1988 and 1992 Winter Olympics, where he finished seventh and fourth, respectively.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080110/SPORTS17/80110087

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

too bad.

RIP

3. I guess heaven needed ....

Nah, I got nothing.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Another dead child star, as he did some TV acting as a youngster.

I hung around him a little on the run-up to Albertville. Seemed like a sweet guy who had battled some demons.

I can't remember now, but it seems like it was the 1992 Nationals when he threw out his program on the fly – and won. It was surely one of those can-you-believe-it feats. But I may have the year wrong.

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Isn't that what this little girl said when her grandfather overdosed?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted