1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas tree thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just put up the first Christmas tree (non-three-foot category) of my adulthood. Took two trips to Meijer to do it, because the first purchase came with two of the same part (it comes in three pieces).

It's a $79.99, pre-lit special, and it certainly doesn't look like a masterpiece, but I'm sure the wife, with considerably more patience than I, will be able to spruce it up.

How all-out do you guys go on the Christmas tree? Anyone go Clark Griswold on everyone's ass and get a real one?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is there any other kind but a real tree? Here in New England, podnuh, we walk to the farm that sells them and haul them back on our sleds. That is, we do if the farm is half a block away as it is from my house. And instead of a sled, I bribe my son with beer and he comes home to carry it back for me.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We have a 12-foot celing in the living room, so I bought a giant tree last year.
    But I feel really guilty about live trees.

This year I am considering the move to a fake tree or to a little tree with a root bundle that we can plant afterward.
    The problem with the latter: We have yet to design and landscape our property, but we plan to do all native-plant xeriscaping, which would mean no Christmas trees.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

What do the following have in common?:

1. "Downtime"
    2. "Bonus"
    3. "Raise"
    4. "Native-plant xeriscaping"

That's right.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We have four Christmas trees up in our house. My wife goes nuts for the holidays, but she makes it fun and I enjoy it.

We have a 9-footer in the family room. We have a 7-footer in our bedroom. We have two slimmer 6-footers in the playroom for the kids and another in the dining room.

When I lived in California, we always had a real tree, which in hindsight, I think was stupid.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that's cool. I read an article in the homes section of the newspaper the other day where a woman had eight Christmas trees in the house. If you do it right and put some thought into it, without being gaudy or trashy, I imagine that can really, really spruce up the house (no pun intended).

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I have one for the first time since I've been on my own. Just a four foot pre-lit one but it looks great and fits perfectly. Can't believe I waited so long to get it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the house looks great. I don't have a ton of fond Xmas memories as a kid because I was always being shuttled between divorced parents, but since I met my wife and had kids I appreciate the holiday a lot more.

It also makes me glad I'm out of journalism because I don't have to work over the holidays anymore.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We got a seven-foot real tree. Seems like it takes up half the living room. Much bigger than it looked on the lot. Awesome though. Smells great. We were up until 2:30 a.m. today decorating it.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

What kind of tree, though? I always like frazier (sp?) firs. They just seem more like Christmas trees.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Six-foot noble fir. Costs $60. House smells great for several weeks, very few needles drop, easy curbside disposal.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We did live for years when the kids were young, then went fake (three trees - family room, living room, upstairs TV room). Safer, less worry about the dogs tearing them up, etc. For some reason, my wife and son decided to go back to live last year. It worked out OK but I was always worried about the puppy near the tree.

We're empty-nesters again and we're going to be gone a few days before Christmas. I actually suggested NO tree but that got shot down because the kids will be home for Christmas weekend. So we'll put up another fakey. My wife made almost all of our ornaments and always makes the tree look great. She made two of the four stockings, too.

To make up for the lack of smell of a fake tree, I sub out the ass-scented candles for Christmas-y stuff through the New Year. Wonderful candles, dogs and me - quite a combination of smell.

I'm so not ready for Christmas this year. Beyond the Moddy Mix CDs, nothing is done. Going to purchase and send my Secret Santa next week. I hope.

Christmas is three weeks from tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted