1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

christmas stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write receiver, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm a fan of this one myself.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I looked like Ralphie back in the early 80s.

By the way, reporters having to write what is essentially ad copy is ridiculous, but the normal state of affairs for a lot of small papers. The ad salesman aren't that literate to know what's in a newspaper.

While that's stereotyping, I always get the ad salesman to ask why a press release didn't run? I either say it's not newsworthy or if it did run, did you even bother looking at the paper.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

To quote Lewis Black, "Thanksgiving used to be Thansgiving, and Santa wasn't poking his ass into it."

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Was talking to my ME about a section like this (a summer "around town" guide that's basically just a list of stores and restauraunts with some articles about them) about six months ago. I was verbally rolling my eyes when he told me that four new businesses have bought ads year-round after being mentioned in last year's edition. Also, the tab itself turns a nice profit since advertisers want to get double the exposure.

I got no complaints if it keeps me gettin' paid.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I used to think she was crazy until she showed me a bill of how much money she actually saved by buying the Christmas crap this early. One year it was something like $450.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does she dance at the bar "Merry XXXmas"?

You could also do a story on how the people working the register at the Big Box store are unable to shop there for gifts because of their ridiculously low pay, lack of benefits, and three children to feed. So they bring the kids to just stare at the video games behind the glass and whisper, "Some day, sweetie...some day."
    Afterward, they take the family to Waffle House for a good ol'fashioned Christmas dinner of smothered potatoes and coffee.
    Bet you'll never get asked to do another Christmas story again.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm the gift that keeps on giving. [/night court]

8. hankschu

hankschu Member

This is OT, but I was on the road for 9/11. All of us beat writers staked out the hotel of the team we covered, talked to some of the players and had the evening free (that night's game was postponed). Most of us wanted to have dinner and drinks together for a little crisis camaraderie, but one of our ranks instead chose to visit one of the local adult establishments, which in that city were pretty good. I just remember thinking, "Hey, if you can't shove your face between a pair of fake tits and stick money in a woman's garter on a day like this, the terrorists win."

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

really. on a night like 9/11 this is what you're thinking? just how much did you get when you sold your soul anyway?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So, with this news, I take it Christmas did not come early for the editorial staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted