1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

christmas stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write receiver, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Just received word on an interesting bout of stories we have to write at my new gig. EVERYBODY....editors, news writers, sports writers, etc. has to write a story about a business for our "Christmas section"...which is basically just free advertising for local businesses in hopes that a bunch of people will buy ads during that season.

Does this strike anybody else as ridiculous? We are a small paper and already don't have enough people to do the work that should be done and now they're adding something like this that will take up all of our time?

I'm just not a fan of free advertising...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can bitch or make the best of it. I suggest selecting a topless bar as your local business and doing a lot of hands-on research.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Profile the dancer "Mary Christmas"

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I worked at a paper that did something like this, only it wasn't at Christmas; it was just some annual section they did in the spring -- while our tab was going out, of course. Thankfully, the sports guys didn't have to do it.

I thought it was a bit sketchy, but it didn't matter what I said, so I didn't bother voicing my opinion.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The topless bar idea is primo.

Hey, people look at titties on Christmas Eve. They're just wearing a Santa hat instead of a trucker's hat.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think anybody who starts talking about Christmas on Sept. 30 is freaking ridiculous.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Spnited, my sister has just completed her Christmas shopping today.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I've already started shopping for a Wii for the wife/me/Lil 93 (eventually).

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Christmas items are on sale already at Cracker Barrel, your friendly redneck eatery.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, yeah. yeah. My sister has been doing all kinds of online shopping and grabbing up early Christmas bargains.

Sick, sick people!

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that spnited means that if you've just started talking about Christmas on Sept. 30 you are freaking ridiculously behind.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

CHRISTMAS!?!?!?!? Don't talk about Christmas. Are you kidding me? CHRISTMAS!?!?? I just hope we can make it to Thanksgiving. /jim mora

Draft saved Draft deleted