1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas parties and bonuses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I admit that I like my job. If I hated it like you, I'd have quit eons ago.

SnarkShark and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm with you there, Doc. Dude, if you think the entire newspaper industry is shit, then get the fuck out of it.

But I will add one thing I learned in 2016. I never realized how little I would miss it until it was gone and I began living a "normal" day cycle.

Last Wednesday, I spent two hours cleaning up an Excel spreadsheet so it would run cleanly when I did a mass mailing and mail merge. And I enjoyed that little bit of minutia ... because I'd never done it before. And that's the way things are with a lot of aspects in a new career. What other people think are boring, they're not so boring when you haven't done them before.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have really struggled with programs like Excel and even Microsoft Word, because it's nothing we used in the newspaper business, and nothing that I used in college, I don't think. Maybe we used Word Perfect? I don't even remember. I remember I had to buy Microsoft Office for the first time when I started writing a book, but even then I barely used any of the functions other than typing into it.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That isn't true at all.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It is in Russia.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's not one part of the Office suite that I use to its full capability. Hell, using Outlook Calendar to keep an office running smoothly -- it's something I hadn't even considered before.

And I've just been introduced to Access, with PowerPoint on the way. Learning all over again.

7. LongTimeListener

I am having so much fun with Excel, I do spreadsheets just for fun and then show my wife, like I'm a second-grader.

My workplace just hired an actual Microsoft expert. Holy shit. His adjustments to our Word templates have cut the time needed for all of us to do our work by at least 20 percent. I am using functions that I never knew existed two months ago.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Danny, this isn't Russia. ... Is this Russia? No, this isn't Russia.

cyclingwriter2 and dixiehack like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This might be the saddest sentence ever written here.

10. LongTimeListener

Try it, baby. You'll like it.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Excited enough to show her your pop-up?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Just wait until you learn about VLOOKUP and PivotTables.

Draft saved Draft deleted