1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas music question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 10, 2006.

?

Should I start playing my Christmas CDs?

1. Sure, go ahead

19.5%
  2. Wait till Thanksgiving

58.5%
  3. You listen to Christmas music? MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

22.0%
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not a note before Thanksgiving, then start off easy.

Then build up until about Dec. 15, then you can go whole hog.

Ease back a bit on the throttle on Dec. 26, but you can keep playing it until Epiphany: The Twelve Days of Christmas.

Put up the tree Christmas Eve, open your presents Christmas morning, not the night before, and take the tree down on the Twelfth Night.

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I've already burned a CD of favorites, but I always keep with a family tradition. After the Thanksgiving meal, we break out the fake tree and decorations and start the music. Everything stays until Jan. 1.

But I listen to a mix of classic and contemporary stuff. Elvis' "Blue Christmas," Springsteen's "Merry Christmas, Baby" or "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," Eagles' "Please Come Home for Christmas." Then there's the Bing Crosby, the Boston Pops version of "Sleigh Ride" and, of course, Alabama's "Christmas in Dixie."

3. You are, once again, dead to me.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No Christmas music until day AFTER Thanksgiving. Only sacred music on Dec. 25 itself. Remove decorations as soon as possible after Jan. 1. (In our town, that depends on what week DPW will collect discarded trees).

5. OTOH, as the season begins, I do listen to the all-day Christmas music station from Winnipeg every day on-line at work.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes.
    And put your Christmas dishes and linens out, wear Christmas sweaters, decorate the house ... all the kind of things old ladies in their eighties think is cute as they walk through the community arts and crafts fair you enjoy...

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

We'll never see eye-to-eye politically, but at least we have Skating and Christmas Time is Here.

(also, the bar graph is still giving everyone the finger)

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Sportschick, just to show you (and the rest of the anti-Christmas folks) how much of a nerd I really am, I am currently listening to the Beach Boys' "Little Saint Nick." So shoot me, what do I care? I'm still going to listen and sing along.

Cast me out, if you will, but I hardly see how the date matters when it comes to the kind of music you WANT to listen to.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh, wait until after Thanksgiving. And this is from the person who just got 99% of her Christmas shopping done last night.

I started in July. :D

10. Mateo

Mateo Member

I'm quite partial to B.B. King's Back Door Santa. You gotta love a blues song that can turn the birth of Christ into a little somethin-somethin with the ladies.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's just not the Xmas season until George Michael and Elton John are singing the same tune 75 times a day.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hey, you're talking to somebody who owns the Muppets and John Denver Christmas CD. I also put my tree up before Thanksgiving. I prefer to wait till Thanksgiving to listen to Christmas music with words is all (the instrumental stuff is fair game yearround)

Draft saved Draft deleted