1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Music Free for All

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 3, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife is on this as a topic on her (rapidly rising in popularity) blog:

http://cathylwood.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/christmas-music/

And I will restate my strong preference for Eartha Kitt's "Santa Baby" above just about all else.

There may not be any bad versions of "Baby It's Cold Outside," unless John Lydon did one with Amy Winehouse. Or if it was done with barking dogs.

Pretenders' "3,000 miles," also.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Someone just sent me Reggae Christmas from Studio One. I know I've only listened to this for a few days, but it might be my favorite Christmas album ever. Just top shelf performances throughout.

If you want a link to it, PM and I'll hook you up.

3. This Rod Stewart-Dolly Parton cover is close though, HH.
    My local all-Christmas station is playing an a capella "12 Days" from some group from IU called Straight, No Chaser. It's freaking hilarious, especially when,on the 12th day, the tune changes to "Africa" by Toto.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Heard a song today called "It's Called Christmas with a Capital C" by a Christian Band called GoFish. I thought it was great. Very un-PC, catchy, overall good stuff. Already downloaded it to my Napster.

Other personal favs include:

"Little Drummer Boy" by Bob Seger
    "Up on the House Top" by Elvis Presley
    "12 Days of Christmas" by John Denver and the Muppets (Beaker steals the song)
    "The 12 Pains of Christmas" by Bob Rivers.
    "Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire" by Bob Rivers

Songs I can't stand:
    "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". All I can think of is Metallica playing a song while dancing around a tree. Stupid.

"Jingle Bell Rock". Is the next one "Jingle Bell Head Banging"?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That must be the extended play version. I do like "2,000 Miles", though.

Also, big on the Kinks, "Father Christmas" and Bare Naked Ladies, "God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings".

In the more obscure division, Siouxshee and the Banshees did a very interesting version of "Frosty the Snowman".

And Lisa Marie Presley does a real nice version of "Silent Night". Really.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Meep meep meep meep meep meep (to the tune of 'nine ladies dancing')... :D

(merry christmas to you, the queen, the prince and princesses, king! still can't believe how big the youngest princess is - haven't seen her since I held her when she was a baby!)

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was introduced to Jethro Tull's Christmas album a few weeks back. First-rate stuff.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Tough to beat the Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD on surround-sound. It's like you're standing in the middle of all those wonderful voices.

And, of course, I've got to hear Blue Christmas.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

ESJ, thanks for posting. Just getting caught up after Christmas in Charlotte and going straight into work from the airport. That one lifted my spirits after a loooonnnggg day!

Draft saved Draft deleted