1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Music Free for All

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 3, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've gotten ahold of the Monster Ballads X-Mas CD, and while a it mostly ranges from atrocious (Naughty, Naughty Christmas by Danger Danger) to mediocre (Blue Christmas by Cindrella's Tom Keifer), Faster Pussycat did a fantastic version of Silent Night. It's very haunting, and not really a ballad.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Many of my faves have been mentioned here (particularly "Fairytale Of New York" and "2000 Miles"), but Brian Setzer put out a cool album a few years back called Boogie Woogie Christmas and I found an audio rip of his Christmas Extravaganza DVD that mixes Christmas stuff with some Stray Cats songs, including "Stray Cat Strut" which is paired with "You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch".

As well, my boy Colin James, a familiar name to many of the SJ.ca types here, has an awesome new Christmas album out with his Little Big Band. I'm off with the wife to see Colin and the boys at Massey Hall on Dec. 21.

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I've been a fan of Styper's Winter Wonderland for (gulp) almost 20 years now.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hurray!

And the XM channels are terrific.

The Hannukkah Channel (108) launches today.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I miss those Perry Como specials. His holiday singing put me in the mood.

6. Cansportschick

I forgot about Bobby Helm's Jingle Bell Rock...

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned Christmas Wrapping yet from The Waitresses?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I personally like Sheryl Crow's rendition of "Run Rudolph Run" from A Very Special Christmas Volume 5. It's the version that made me start liking the song. My other favorite is Stevie Nicks's version of "Silent Night." Hers made that my favorite Christmas carol.

9. Cansportschick

forever_town, I like Crow's version of Elvis' Blue Christmas.

On another note, if Muchmusic/Muchmoremusic here in Canada plays that damn jingle cats tune once more, I will shoot my tv, not kidding either. That song/video should be banned. I love cats, but I can't take hearing my favourite xmas tunes being butchered by cats cries and screeches. :mad:

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

My outlandish favorites:

- Twisted Sister's cover of "O Come All Ye Faithful"
    - The Mystery Science Theater 3000 classic "Let's Have a Patrick Swayze Christmas"
    - Anything by John Denver and the Muppets
    - Sarah Silverman's "Give the Jew Girl Toys"

Kudos to whoever mentioned the "O Holy Night" rendition from Studio 60 last year. Brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it; still brings goosebumps today.

11. Cansportschick

Love Oi! To the World by Do Doubt. Great track.

Five for Fighting's Silent Night is very calm and soothing.

12. Cansportschick

I forgot to mention my favourite song of all time. Paul McCartney's Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas time. A radio station here plays it for me every year at a certain hour because they know I am working. I know the people at the radio station.

War is Over (Happy Xmas)-John Lennon is good too.

Thank God It's Christmas-Queen

Draft saved Draft deleted