1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Music Free for All

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 3, 2007.

1. rallen13

rallen13 Member

I like the traditional Christmas music; White Christmas, Silver Bells, and the like. As we get closer to the big day, I like to hear the true carols; Deck the Halls, O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night, Joy to the World, etc. And no Christmas is complete without hearing The Messiah.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you like jazz and jazz vocalists (Ella, Billie, Dinah et al), Verve has dozens of great Christmas CD's.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

rallen, it is always a tradition for me to go to Handel's Messiah being performed by the Symphony around the 22-23rd of the month. I love the music to it.

Ave Maria is always a nice tune to hear at this time of year and Aaron Neville's version is beautiful.

4. Cansportschick

Chris Botti has a nice Christmas compilation out.

5. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Cansportschick,
    It's ironic since she is devoutly Jewish, but have you ever heard Barbra Streisand's Ave Maria? Unbelievable!

6. Cansportschick

Really, haven't heard it probably because I can't get past her nose. ;) ;D

I have to check it out.

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I have yet to join in on the Moddy Christmas annual CD - anyone know if there's going to be one this year?

One Christmas CD I haven't seen mentioned is <i>Barenaked for the Holidays</i>, by (you guessed it) Barenaked Ladies, with a special guest appearance by Michael Buble.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My wife has over 1,000 Christmas songs on our iTunes, so if you're looking for something specific, chance are we have it and I will email it to you as an attachment. If you ask nicely.

As for favorites, I'll throw these out there:

White Christmas, Otis Redding (the best version ever of this song)
    God Rest Ye Marry Gentlemen, BNL and Sarah Mclachlan
    You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch, Thurle Ravenscroft
    I Pray On Christmas, Harry Connick Jr.
    All I Want for Christmas Is You, Mariah Carey
    The Christmas Song, Stevie Wonder and India.Arie
    Winter Wonderland, Louis Armstrong
    Children Go Where I Send Thee, Natalie Merchant
    Let It Be Christmas, Alan Jackson
    Joy To The World, Johnny Cash
    Marshmallow World, Dean Martin
    Baby It's Cold Outside, James Taylor and Natalie Cole
    Only You Can Bring Me Cheer, Alisson Kraus
    Shimmy Down the Chimney, Alison Kraus
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Jackson 5
    Who Took The Merry Out of Christmas, The Staples Singers
    The Christmas Song, The Ravonettes
    Come On, Let's Boogie To The Elf Dance!, Sufjan Stevens
    All That I Want, The Weepies
    Winter Wonderland, Liz Phair
    Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jack Johnson
    O Holy Night: A Tribute To New Orleans, Troy "Trombone" Shorty (was on the Studio 60 x-mas episode last year)
    Jiggle Bell Jamboree, Keb Mo'
    Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, Springsteen

9. Cansportschick

I own it but I was a little disappointed by it. Sarah MacLachlan also makes a guess appearance on it.

Speaking of her, MacLachlan's xmas compilation is fantastic.

The Now 1 and Now 2 Christmas Cd's are great. One cd is now a day hits and other cd is traditional songs. The Now 2 cd is better than the first.

10. Cansportschick

How can we not listen to the Chanukah Song by Adam Sandler at this time of year?

And Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas? (the original one, not Band Aid 20's rendition)

And Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm very traditional when it comes to Christmas, having grown up as a chorister and all, and so I'm much more partial to carols, O come all ye faithful, Hark, The Herald Angels Sing, In Dulci Jubilo, Once In Royal David's City.

I always try to listen to the midnight service of nine lessons and carols from King's College, Cambridge on Christmas Eve. It starts at 7 p.m. over here, and you can listen to it through the BBC's website.

You have people coming in from around the world queuing up outside the college's (very large) chapel to try and get a seat, sometimes going in shifts a few days in advance to make sure they get in.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues. Far and away my favorite Christmas song.

Draft saved Draft deleted