1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas movies, the 2008 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

My sister and I always watch a Muppet Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve.

It's by no means a classic, but it's got cute songs and is pretty enjoyable.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife turns her attention to the Holiday Inn/White Christmas paired entry:

http://cathylwood.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/holiday-parties-and-christmas-movies/

She reports getting some traffic from here. Thanks to all.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You know, I've always heard that "The Bells of St. Mary's" was a decent Christmas flick, but I've never seen it. Do love those old, sentimental Bing movies, though. Anyone?

And, I've turned the corner on "Christmas Story". Used to hate, hate, hate it -- especially with TNT battering us with it with 24 hours on Christmas Day. But, I've warmed to it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't Arthur set at Christmas time? I loved how that film made New York look.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Who are you? What is wrong with you??

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh, so many things, IJAG. So many things.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which is why I adore you so.

Yet...that's a stumbling block. Not going to lie.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's that whole between-the-moon-and-New York City thing.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know it's crazy, but it's true.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

No love for 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians' -- and deservedly so.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The two-part Saved By The Bell Christmas special is one I watch every year. Seriously.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Damn straight.

Among the other kick-ass action classics to exploit the holiday season (coincidentally enough, they're all written by the same guy):

* "The Long Kiss Goodnight"
    * "Lethal Weapon" (Who doesn't think of the holidays when Mel Gibson, sitting by the tree, face illuminated by Christmas lights, says "We're going to get bloody on this one, Rog"? Yes! ;D)
    * "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" (Michelle Monaghan in that little Santa get-up ... <drool>)

Another fun memory from high school. In preparation for our extended family's annual viewing of "A Christmas Story," I had set up the VCR to play a particularly gruesome scene from "Silent Night, Deadly Night." Made my young cousins cry. I got pelted in the head with a bottle of Jim Beam for that, but it was totally worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted