1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas movies, the 2008 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But aren't Holiday Inn and White Christmas similar?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One Magic Christmas with Mary Steenburgen and Harry Dean Stanton

Despite being a Disney movie, it's not exactly kid-friendly--despite the title. Horrible and depressing things happen in the first part of the movie--I'm not sure I'd recommend it for very young kids. But it is intelligent and does at the end capture he spirit of the thing. Made back in the mid 80's.

And it was shot up in Double J land: Owen Sound, Collingwood & Meaford, Ontario.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't imagine horrible and depressing things happening with Harry Dean Stanton around.

I'm drawn to Mary Steenburgen just like Larry David. I'll have to check that out.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It doesn't ever seem to play on TV. Mary S is great in the flick.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Both have Bing, both have The Inn and both have the song White Christmas.

That's about it, really.

Holiday Inn has the advantage of Astaire, one of the coolest MF's on the planet.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well put, Henry. And Holiday Inn is a far superior movie.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The only movie in which Will Ferrell does not annoy the crap out of me. Mostly because Zooey Deschanel rules. And so does Bob Newhart.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife's No. 4 pick on the best Christmas movie debate – a film which does, indeed, wind up as No. 1 on a lot of lists:

http://cathylwood.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/christmas-decorating-and-christmas-movies/

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Elf's the only Christmas movie I own, although I did watch Home Alone the other day on TV. I'd forgotten how cute it was.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

give bad santa, grinch (cartoon), and charlie brown christmas and i'll never ask to see another christmas movie again.

christmas vacation and a christmas story are rock solid as well, and so is muppets christmas carol.

11. When I was younger, it was a personal tradition for my brother and I to watch Home Alone right before we went to bed on Christmas Eve. This was after we watched A Christmas Story several times on TNT.

A Christmas Story is my far-and-away favorite. Followed by Christmas Vacation.

I'm pretty cheesy when it comes to Christmas, so I like a lot of different movies.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A Muppet Family Christmas
    The Year without a Santa Clause (for the Miser brothers alone)

Draft saved Draft deleted