1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas in June

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of the friendless, Jun 2, 2008.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

JR, an expert witness when it comes to Canadian publishing, will tell you that hockey books sell before Xmas and then fade into the background.

Curious thing today on Canadian amazon.ca ... # 1 best-selling sports book is my goofy hockey book (at one pt today #104 among all bestsellers, getting close to its high-water mark back when it was published in November). No other hockey book was in the top 100 sports books. The second-ranked book on the hockey list was No. 26,000 on the best-seller list. My editor says the title didn't burst out of the blocks but its sales haven't slowed down in over six months on the shelves.

Not that it will earn out its advance but it might qualify as a Canadian best-seller (this isn't the qualifying height for the Olympic high jump but rather the qualifying height for the Special Olympics). My sense of satisfaction can be traced to unpredictable Canadian book-shopping habits and painfully low expectations. Of course, five book orders turn amazon.ca inside out.

Back to our regular programming.

YD&OHS, etc

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yay for you!!!

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Congratulations!

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's awesome, sir.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well done, FoF!

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Beers on FoF!

Congrats, man.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Further proof that Canickustanis are all crazy.

Way to go, Friend

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Full,

This is Canadian publishing. This round is on me. A bottle of beer, please, and six straws.

YD&OHS, etc

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of that great Young Adults (legendary satirical R.I. bar band of the seventies/early eighties) tune "Christmas in Japan in July."

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Congrats!

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's outselling "The Tim Harkness Story?"

Draft saved Draft deleted