1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That I can agree with. I remember when there was maybe two Christmas games a year in the afternoon. It was something to look forward to.

Now it just seems like another night in the NBA schedule.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And Brian Burke has an even earlier roster freeze for his teams. I think this year it was around Dec 9 for the Leafs

Let the jokes begin.

3. I don't really care if they play or not. I agree with what was said earlier: you knew this was a possibility when you chose your field. Deal with it. I worked Christmas too and I'm not complaining.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What is this NBA of which you speak?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

While in years past I've been known to put on an NBA game or the old Blue-Grey game on as background noise, this year I didn't catch a minute of sports on Christmas Day. On Christmas Even I sorta paid attention to the Tulsa vs. Hawaii game while I was out at a bar with a friend.

I can understand the rationale for putting sports on Christmas Day. I'm not sure the NBA needs a full third of the league playing though (hey Eric Spoelstra, a full one-third of the league is relevant? Really?) but I understand why they have the games. But if no one played on Christmas it wouldn't bother me. I'd probably barely notice. And I think it's kind of cool the way hockey does it.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The CBA also prohibits travel to road games on Christmas Day so teams playing yesterday had to go the day of the game which can really throw off their routine, particularly if the weather throws a wrench into the works.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think they should play, not for the players and coaches sake, but for all the other folks who don't get fly their family to the Bahamas for Christmas in July.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I do wonder of the concessions workers and ushers get paid overtime to work on Christmas Day. It would be nice, but my guess is that they don't. At least make it worth their while.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

let's not be naive, friends. if tv viewers agreed that it's a disgrace to have games on chrristmas by not watching the games, the nba would reconsider in a nanosecond. the fact the league bumped up the number of xmas games to five tells me the ratings are just lovely.

david stern should tell the league's coaches to stfu.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Holiday pay is double time for union employees, whether stadium/arena workers are union employees is one I can't answer. Years ago I remember stadium employees on strike and players merrily walking past the picket lines. Solidarity Bothers, Solidarity

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, I'm sure the ratings are above average. There's nothing else to do. Most normal (read not including journalists) people aren't at work, the malls are closed. So you just sit around with relatives, eat and BS all day long (another reason I don't mind working). So you watch whatever is on.

Hell, if they showed curling, it would get decent ratings that day. I don't really care one way or the other, but am sort of glad the NHL takes a couple of days off.

It gives me a chance to run something in the paper besides scores and highlights.

12. Yep. I can get down with one game and having that be the showcase game. Hell, since there is nothing else on, I'd probably even watch it (on my mom's side of the family, we do everything with television sports on in the background. It is awesome). But five is simply excessive.

Plus the NBA sucks. I don't want to be force-fed five games of that crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted