1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So the NBA had its allotment of five nationally-televised games on Christmas again this year? Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson is among the most vocal critics of the schedule, saying in an AP story earlier this week that Christmas is a "holy day" and the league should not schedule games. Of course, Jackson's Lakers are one of the teams that seems to wind up playing on Christmas every year.

For the second straight year, the NFL had a Christmas night game. And figures to have at least one, maybe two, next year when Christmas falls on a Sunday. (In past years, the NFL has moved the larger portion of its schedule to Saturdays when Christmas falls on a Sunday.)

The NHL continues to not schedule games on Christmas. There were a few college basketball games on the schedule.

While it may be enjoyable to kick back and watch games on TV on a holiday, it's probably a far different story for those actually working them: be they players, reporters, or even concession stand workers at the arenas.

So what's your take? Good idea or bad one?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think limited games are good. The five that the NBA does seems like a bit much - that's about a third of the league. But speaking as a guy who doesn't really have much of a Christmas tradition or time commitment on the day itself, I like being able to watch a game or two.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A thousand people working a Christmas game trumps the other 308,999,900 who aren't?

Poor argument.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My wife worked so I watched a couple of NBA games today, but I'm not a big fan of it.

I feel bad for the players and coaches, but more so for all the arena workers, and the sportswriters and others who can't have one freaking day where they know they can be with their family.

My wife works at the hospital so that's different. But sporting events on Christmas is unnecessary, so don't do it.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Pay me $15 million per year and I'll play every single holiday I can.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

What about the usher making $9 an hour?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you go into entertainment, healthcare, religion or emergency services, there is a good chance you will work Christmas Day.

Don't want to work Christmas Day? Go into education.

How many of these players who are bitching snuck in a Chistmas Eve service?

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Did you hear what Stan Van Gundy said?

He said the NBA should INCREASE the games from 5 to 10.

Start them at Midnight and go all day AKA the 24 hours of college basketball.

Doc Rivers already said he loves the idea, and wants the Midnight game.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Too many games. What's wrong with just one day of the year, everyone taking a day off?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They already have that. Christmas Eve.

Plus the day before and after the MLB All-Star Game.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey, the fair tradeoff is Hawaii in a bowl game.

Phil Jaxplays coaches on Easter. That's a holy day. How about Passover, Purim, Shavout? Jax's a Zen Buddhist. How about monthly Mindfulness days and Buddha's birthday?

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Healthcare, my ass.

A friend of mine's father got sent to the hospital with huge kidney stones on Dec. 23. They are merely sedating him until the 27th, as not to inconvenience the money-grubbing doctors who are off filling their stockings with cars, pricey jewelry and the latest in high-tech. In what limited nurses were still working: "It's Christmas."

Word to the wise: If you're going to get sick on Christmas, make sure its a massive coronary. They might have to resuscitate you in the ER if they have enough staff on board there.

Draft saved Draft deleted