1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Columns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Do any of you do a Dear Santa or Christmas type column?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

See also: 'Holiday stories/cliches that should be banned' thread.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

If you have the urge to write a Christmas column, you are a hack.

http://www.thecolumnists.com/allen/allen134.html

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There are exceptions to every rule, but in general this strikes me as a small-circulation idea.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You'd think.

And yet, I'll guarantee you there will be one in the "local big paper."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you felt compelled to do it, I think you'd have to be clever or funny or smart alecky.

Saying you would give the local high school coach his first state championship is pretty hokey.

Saying you'd give an unlisted phone number so parents/fans couldn't call and bitch about losing to rival Podunk High might be a way to make a point.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

People need to lighten up about this kind of stuff. We write about sports for God's sake. It's not exactly nuclear science or world politics. I write one every year because a lot of people look forward to it. It gives me a chance to give a shout-out to people who done good by me during the year and I try to come up with something clever for everyone on the list. I tell people if they don't like it, don't freaking read it. It's once a year.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'll write a holiday themed column when I feel like it. Then again, I would not be writing "Dear Santa" or anything of the sort. I usually try to bring the holidays into the larger context of life in my county.

I've written about the loss of holiday spirit through commercialization, for instance.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Oooh, now there is new territory. No one has ever wished for the good ol' days before.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch. Little chippy there, Mr. FCS Champion?

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Probably. Just heard Armanti Edwards got a job stringing for the Plain-Dealer.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wouldn't wipe my ass with a Christmas column. Well, maybe I would.

Draft saved Draft deleted