1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sent ours our pretty early this year - I'm the annoying person who starts getting them in the mail soon after Thanksgiving.

Anyway, I'm noticing that most of the ones we're beginning to receive just have children on them, no adults. Ours had a family picture. I almost feel guilty about this now: Is it poor form to put anyone but children on the card? On the other hand, perhaps childless couples and individuals enjoy a respite from adorable kids only, all the time. (I think Slate had a column last year about the phenomenon in which a large percentage of women - and that percentage includes my wife - use their child's photo as their Facebook profile picture.)

Anyway, just curious about everyone's Christmas card habits. We used Tiny Prints.com this year and they turned out very nice. Have used Walgreens in the past. I think we've gotten about five from others so far and sent out perhaps 80-some, with a few to go. All those we've received have been specially made - four kiddie photos, and one in which the individual actually drew a cartoon. (Had no idea he was an artist - what a cool card.)

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

shutterfly

I have about 6-7 pictures on it showing various things we did over the year.

Oh, they went to Disney, the beach, Lil 93 played soccer... I probably should have had a group shot of the pets now that I think about it.

3. Wife just did an online service which charged $.50 per card to be made up, postage applied and mailed. Three kids and not a single adult photo on the cards. I think that's the overwhelming trend anymore and, while I do miss seeing what some of my friends look like after so many years away, I can't complain much since it's how we handle our cards.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've made it a point to keep everyone on the card somewhere. This year we have one family photo. In the past we've done a mixture with just kids and maybe just us.

I think it's kind of lame to actually have only kids on there. Mainly because I think people, especially those you haven't seen for a while, might want to know and see how the whole family is growing.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I buy cards from Target -- no photos for me. Don't mind receiving photos but my preference is for the whole family.

I write long and involved notes with almost all of my cards (not the ones to family). Even if I email the person four times a week, they get a chickenscratch letter from me. Do 2-3 a day so avoid hand cramps.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I use pictures of random strangers. That or extreme closeups of my actual family so people have to guess who is in which picture (Is that James' forehead there? Man I hope it is.)

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

This thread is begging for some YGBFKM posts.

"Honey, did you send out our Christmas cards?"

"Why the fuck should I commemorate some guy who died 2,000 years ago? Just because society says I have to?"

8. Dick Whitman

Hey, in this case, I'm the guy taking the holiday bull by the horns.

There is some internal logic to all of this, I have to believe, but it might take me a few days to untangle it.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm guessing it's your son. He probably couldn't give less of a shit about most holidays since he doesn't get the significance. He sure as shit knows Christmas = fun new stuff, though.

And making your kid smile on Christmas is every father's goal.

10. Dick Whitman

He definitely is onto this, indeed.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As soon as I saw this thread, I got all excited. :) Then I realized Dick was acting like a relatively normal human being this time and I got all sad. :(

12. Anyone do Kwanzaa cards? I didn't know there was an official website for the festival, but there is.

Draft saved Draft deleted