1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CHRISTMAS BONUS, 2010 STYLE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I expect squat for a Christmas bonus and I've received squat.

Like OTR, I've never received a Christmas bonus in my journalism career.

2. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I'm one of the fortunate ones. My paper has given Christmas bonuses every year for 50 years. It's a week's paycheck.

Folks in my family wouldn't be getting Christmas presents without it.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Wasn't sure if it was coming, but got the double check two weeks ago. Hallelujah. It's already long gone, of course.

4. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Several years ago management of the paper where I worked gathered the desk folks together and we drew numbers out of a hat. When they called your number they gave you an envelope. Inside of mine was three one dollar bills. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

As a side note, in the 14 years I've been in the business I've been to zero Christmas parties. The reason I have not been able to attend is because these type of newsroom functions are always on a Saturday night, a day which sports copy desk guys are never off. From what I hear from co-workers though, I'm not missing much.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Got the $25 gift card to the local grocery (last year they gave it out and a day later asked for it back to give to needy families, I refused). My awesome boss, however, gave us a $50 gift card to the local Chillis and $100 to Wal-Mart. That will go a long way for my family this year.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

the big bonus came in. . . .$10 gift card to Applebees.
    (try to contain your jealousy)

Draft saved Draft deleted