1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CHRISTMAS BONUS, 2010 STYLE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 3, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Merry Christmas from Dean:

Furloughs are back in SoCal. And they're big. Ten days in the first three months of 2010. And no vacation accruals.

Ho, ho, ho.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/12/furloughs_back_at_lang_pa.php

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the other thing about no paid vacation is, they would still complain if the employee took a few days, even if they're not paying for it.

3. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

No paid vacation? It's past time to quit.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Just found out we got an extra paid day off. To me, it's as good as a monetary bonus.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I was earning my own Christmas bonus with freelance, until our publisher, with a bogus claim of conflict of interest, put a halt to it.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Write it under a nom de plume.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A, I don't feel ethically comfortable doing it. B, the people you talk to for the story then think, WTF?
    At my first shop, my SE wanted me to NDP a pitcher on a men's softball team who had a workers' comp case pending. I did it, but felt pretty icky about it later. I don't mind going NDP on a bulletin board, but when I'm doing business, it's not how I prefer to roll.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

As long as you're not pawning off your typical coverage to another outlet for freelance money (or working for a competitor) there's nothing wrong with you doing work on the side.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I got a rock.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Next year, they'll make you pay for it.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The year after that, they won't give you a rock but will still make you pay for it.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The year after that they will smash you in the head with that rock, then tell your family that, sadly, your health insurance doesn't cover your injury.

Draft saved Draft deleted