1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I never watched the show, but I think she is an actress from the old show "Dallas."

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Lady Griz at Montana. They even have a different logo from all the rest of the teams at the school, also the Lady Techsters at La. Tech.

I'd like to see them all drop the lady. It's just so damned condescending.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Lady Techsters. They definitely have the tradition, although the reason I forgot about them is that they haven't done much lately.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct ... though the NCSU-BC game was up north on Thursday, I believe the floor at Reynolds Coliseum says "Wolfpack Women." Though I can promise you Kay Yow (please get better BTW ... a classier woman I have yet to meet) won't bark a bit if one uses "Wolfpack" in a story.

Brennen brings up a legitimate point. How often do we say "basketball" as opposed to "women's basketball"? I endure crap about liking "chick ball." Ignorant and condescending as hell ... pisses me off to no end. If it's being forced on us, then I understand the anger. But as far as I'm concerned, she's merely raising awareness. Nothing wrong with that ... I've done it a few times on my print pulpit, too.

The tilt against the women's game is further illustrated when someone calls in wanting to know a high school basketball score, and sounds so exasperated and put out when I simply ask "the boys or the girls game"? It's a legitimate question ... but to hear the callers so curious about a score get so nasty about a simple question is amazing.

I'm not surprised in the least that Brenda Frese helped Brennan with her point. I have yet to meet her, but all accounts are that she's very much in-your-face and while one can overdo that, the simple fact that she's female bothers too many men. But I've heard the same thing about Gail Goestenkors, and the times I was around her I had a hard time believing she would be that awful.

Why all the screaming about Brennan? Maybe it's because whatever athleticism I got was from my mother, and I grew up respecting both genders when it comes to sports among other things. Seriously guys ... lighten up.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sam Mills, what is wrong with Kay Yow? I'm waaaaay out of the college hoops loop this season...

6. Sam Mills 51

Cancer. Again. She's taken a leave of absence from the program to focus on her health, including chemotherapy. :'(

Keep Pounding, Kay.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Should AP change the slug from BKC to BKM, since women's hoops is BKW?

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

And the women's basketball team at USC is called (the school says, anyway) the Women of Troy rather than Trojans. Although there might be a reason for that one ...

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

My favorite use of "Lady" in a nickname has to go to Providence College ... nothing quite as confounding as a Lady Friar. (I don't think it's commonly used, but Yahoo Sports is using it, and that makes me smile).

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/teams/pas

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, J_D was the only one who really spewed vitriol, and he's on your side.

11. Sam Mills 51

Maybe no one spit pure venom, Dools, but plenty have made more about this than was probably necessary. Of course, I didn't expect this to become a pure mutual admiration society, but still ...

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In point of fact, starting with Brennan. This was not Fox trying to trash women's sports. This was a historical fact, stated imprecisely for sure, but what was meant was understood. And being somewhat familiar with Summitt, I doubt she's giving the issue a second thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted