1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan's column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by runningman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the problem with that would be...? :D

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a leap into the abyss. And I stand by my reporting on the last point.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Nothing quite as fun as getting angry over the garbled semantics of a Fox Sports broadcast booth.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, the point is correct -- Tennessee was first.
    But as beach bum pointed out, the gripe should be Tennessee's not Maryland's... that aspect was sloppy.

I dont see it as typical female harping, but since I'm not a one-trick ponyChristine Brennan fan, I find the messenger, rather than the message, grating

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

See, I disagree, buck. I think the fact a woman wrote it, esp. given that Brennan has become known as a feminist ranter, plays a big role in the stance men are taking here.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I like the column. I think the point is important, and it's a point that people don't stop to think about (myself included) until someone goes "hey, by the way."

Christine Brennan serves as a watchdog for women in sport. If not Brennan, it would be someone else. Thankfully, Brennan has the background, capability and medium to do it right.

Many do see Brennan as a one-trick pony. But how many other columnists in this business are like that? And at least she's not a "me-trick" pony like a lot of the schmucks we're seeing.

Also, I think focusing on Brenda Frese wasn't a wrong move. Frese is the next generation. She's exciting as a coach, her teams are exciting, and new things are happening in women's college basketball. I like that Brennan backed up her initial point with information about this movement, about Maryland and Duke and UNC, without diving back into the old Tennessee and UConn bag.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I like Cadet's take. As 21 points out from time to time, some people feel they need to write about the same types of issues often because nobody else bothers.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cadet, I understand your point. But since Tennessee was the school to hold the football/basketball title, I don't see that as diving back into the Tennessee-UConn bag... It's asking the coach whose team actually achieved it...

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Good point. But I do like the fresh take with Frese.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's dredge up Hootie and the Augustians, one more time . . .

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Since women don't play football, I think the "men's" before basketball is understood. A bad example by the hypersensitive Brennan.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

See, I don't get that whole "football (hence: men) was the context" thing. Most editors wouldn't let other inaccurate statements slide in print, for example, by suggesting some debatable context makes it OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted