1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan on Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I apologize for the cross-post, but I'm actually hoping Brennan reads this.

I think what Christine Brennan twitted is horrible. It appears to have been spur-of-the-moment, very base, and an "it-is-what-you-think-it-is"-type comment.

You notice she didn't have the guts to put it in the paper -- like an asshole, she had to twit it.

She fucked up good, and I've lost a ton of respect for her.

She needs to do a 180, look within herself to examine what exactly made her write that, and come clean about it.

Hey Christine, do you have a daughter? What if something like that happened to her and somebody twitted about her what you twitted?

(YES I'M USING THE WORD 'TWIT' INTENTIONALLY.)

I find it ironic that Brennan accuses Andrews of playing to the frat house.

Christine, with that comment, you're playing to something, too. I think you need to get real with yourself about what it is.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Did she mention Title IX. Because she mentions Title IX in, oh, everything she writes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Luggie, quit avoiding the point. Tell us what you really think!

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Viv Bernstein is an incredibly intelligent woman who should be an inspiration to a lot of women. And the fact that anyone's first response to her would be how ugly they think she is pisses me off on about every level.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

There's probably not a way to say this without sounding patronizing or smug or ever creepy. but she's not ugly at all, just going from the mugshot.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

She's not. At all. She's beautiful, and kind, and bitingly funny. And I've told her all this. Thankfully, Viv is a strong enough woman that the mindless rantings of the great unwashed didn't affect her self-confidence.

But when columns and thoughts are judged based on how the reader perceives the physical looks of the writer, then that's a sad day for all of us.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me exactly what Andrews should have done before now or how exactly she was "playing to the frat house." She has expressed her discomfort with the comments made about her in the past, but really, what was she supposed to do? It's not like she is dressing unprofessionally to show off her assets or anything like that.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

ditto. actually, DITTO!!

10. She should be ashamed of herself and her body.
    You got your wish ... I'll be damned If I'm going to post a link though.

Hint: He beats the old "Stu Scott got crime'd" deadhorse.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

But Brennan did clarify her statements and said she was appalled at what happened to Andrews. You don't have to be a fan of Andrews or think she's the greatest sports journalist out there to be offended that she was violated the way she was. I'd be offended for anyone in that situation.

I think Cadet was dead-on in the assessment of what Brennan was likely saying, and I doubt she's the only one who feels that way, but it doesn't mean she's jealous.

And gutenburg, despite your intricate knowledge of all that is classy in women, I challenge you to read your first post and tell me that I had to stretch to find that condescending.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

But now's not the appropriate time to discuss her work, and Brennan knows that.

It's sort of like around here when somebody dies tragically, and people start posting, "RIP, but I hated his column. He was a hack, but my best to his family."

Pick another time to criticize.

As for what made Brennan twit that... Jealousy? My guess - there's probably a small twist of it in what I think is a toxic little cocktail of mixed feelings we women tend to carry around.

We are brutally critical and judgemental of each other. The depths to which we "go there" to judge each other would cut you to your knees. That's what we women do. It's biological.

But you gotta battle it and fight the good fuckin' fight -- and Christine Brennan was one who always did that on behalf of other women.

Right now I feel like she needs to sit down and watch The Accused and remind herself what she's been all about up to this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted