1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christine Brennan on Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jul 22, 2009.

1. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Um, again, you weren't there.

Never did I say the male writer "sniped."

Are you this sloppy with the facts when you write a story or edit someone's copy?

I was there. You weren't. Period.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Where do you plan we find them?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe sportsjones.com kept a list somewhere.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Look, man, at least give Boomer the recognition he has worked so hard to achieve.

Carry on.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

A LOT of female journalists ...
    REALLY?
    From this female writer who talks to a lot of other female writers, I've never heard anybody complain about Erin's wealth, classiness, or fame. In fact, she's respected for her work, and for doing what ESPN asks her to do.

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Gingerbread,

Thanks for chiming in. Please note I didn't say ALL female journalists. I was just relaying some of the experiences I have encountered.

I posted my firsthand experiences based on the premise of this thread, people thinking Christine Brennan was taking a not-so-thinly-veiled shot at Erin Andrews. There is no agenda on my part either way.

I've heard female sportswriters take shots at some other high-profile TV talent too, including Bonnie Bernstein, Hannah Storm, Linda Cohn and Colleen Dominguez.

I've heard male sportswriters rip TV types too.

So if you personally know Christine Brennan, what's your take on her comments about Erin Andrews?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nutrisystem begs to differ.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn. That's a great get.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Christine Brennan on Erin Andrews? Where's the pix? [\thebiglead, etc.]

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I would say women still have to either be a sex object or a bitch, or figure how to toe the line between the two. It's a difficult dance. And that goes for most professions.

As 21 noted somewhere on this site, "female sports journalists" really is no longer a small little club where we all look and act and think alike. It's about time we should be able to pave our own paths. I admit, for a long time I thought we all needed to abide by the same rules, but it's clear "male sports journalists" don't have to adhere to the the same guidelines, so I guess neither should we. (Example: some male reporters still wear ties, some cover games in flip flops; some male reporters are in the weddings of people they cover, some male reporters wouldn't think of hanging out with their subjects.)
    And to be clear, I am only talking about the bigger picture and not the horrific thing that happened to Erin. It's encouraging to read that people here understand how viciously she's been violated.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The BLOGosphere would implode upon itself, Bubbler

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

No, clearly you're not enamored with her at all. ::)

And maybe it wasn't this way back when you were printing Bibles, but women curse these days. And sailors aren't shocked. In fact, women ARE sailors now!

======

Newbie idiocy aside, I'm surprised by Brennan's swipe at Andrews, but I understand where the sentiment comes from.

Draft saved Draft deleted