1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian rock band does bait and switch with Iowa high school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Used to be.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can tell that guy is fluent in youth culture because he wears his hat backwards.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And that every penny of the $1500 fee gets plowed right back into production values - like black T-shirts and slides and more black T-shirts.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Having grown up in fundamentalist Christian household that once drove four hours to see Petra in concert, you've put me into the fetal position by posting this.

I know WAY more than I should about 1980s and 1990s Christian rock. it just sits there in my brain and I have no use for it.

Phillips, Craig and Dean lyrics...Audio Adrenaline licks that totally sucked, Wayne Watson acoustic jams, The Supertones...Bleach...dear lord, you're making me remember these things...

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

*runs screaming from the room*

I loved Petra growing up (and happy to see the original lineup back), but man Carman boils my blood. He loves him some Carman!

6. spikechiquet

Supertones are on kickstarter now, hope to have a new album out at the end of the year. I'm sure it will sound new and fresh....like all the other songs they did. Ska-based horns and rap...right? Yeah, thought so.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I went on a nostalgic kick last month where I horrified my wife with the music of my youth.

Supertones, Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys, DC Talk, a "punk" band called Guardian.

8. spikechiquet

Explain used to be. Did they renounce their faith? No.
    Switchfoot may not play in churches (busy selling out arenas instead), but they are still a Christian-based band. I saw them this past year...still a very good live band. Great humanitarians, involved with causes, all-inclusive love for their fans. Those guys "get it".
    That and Jerome, their guitarist, was one-half of one of the greatest 90s Industrial rock/techno groups I have seen play: Mortal.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Bottle Rocket. I remember them singing Bottle Rocket.

10. spikechiquet

punk? hardly...

Crashdog, MxPx, The Blamed...that's punk.

Guardian was 80s hair rock that turned into in the mid 90s grunge. Although Miracle Mile was an excellent cd. They, also, are starting a new cd through kickstarter. And yes, I paid for it already. Great group of guys.

11. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Every member of the staff that approved this should be fired.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I was just throwing out the more recognizable ones I had been to, but Jars of Clay is pretty good. Liked a group called 3 Crosses back in the '90s, too. Didn't even know Switchfoot was Christian. But I dig 12 Stones and Relient K.

Draft saved Draft deleted