1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian rock band does bait and switch with Iowa high school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/dunkerton-high-school-assembly-stirs-protest/article_0f8c258b-2acd-5c64-bbb4-c7cb34fc22f6.html

The principal was led to believe the presentation was going to be about staying away from drugs and alcohol and have an anti-bullying message.
    Instead, the band ended up bullying many of the students, using all sorts of scare tactics while talking about homosexuality, premarital sex, abortion, etc.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The people whining about tolerance are apparently OK with the fact that they are not tolerant of this band's beliefs.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When they have pulled-out-of-their-ass statistics like the median life span of a gay man is 42, the intollerance is understandable.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or when the anti-bullying message is replaced by bullying.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The most ignorant defense of intolerance possible is to attack the other side as being intolerant. Just a cover-up for not being able to make a logical defense.

6. zagoshe

I've yet to see anyone, other than a whining parent who wasn't even there, say that this group said "the average life of a gay man is 42" which means it probably was not said and all of this was blown out of proportion by a few parents with second-hand knowledge of what was actually said.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is a band member confirming the quote good enough?

McMillian did offer two images of aborted fetuses and a variety of informational slides touching on homosexuality that he said students also saw. Along the way, he also described how homosexuals die, on average, at the age of 42.

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/junkyard-prophet-expands-on-message-delivered-last-week-in-dunkerton/article_8673ae46-6ce9-11e1-8879-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1p9uPYCdD

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The video of him saying that is on the band's website actually. Indefensible for the stuff he was saying without proof.

That said, I work for a Christian rock station and these guys...I've never heard of. It seems pretty crappy to pull that message out at a public school though...

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then why were the students shouted down or screamed at for being disrespectful when they tried to have an actual discussion with the band members?

Tolerance indeed.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Bride's Father: "You told us you were a 40's dance band."

Lead Guitarist: "We play speed metal."

BF: "But your brochure specifically says '40's dance band.' And when we hired you, you said you were a 40's dance band."

LG: "Speed metal."

BF: "But you've ruined my daughter's wedding reception."

LG: "You are intolerant."

Scene. Exit, pursued by a bear. Curtain.

11. zagoshe

Once again - like I wrote before - the band cited a study which said that gays die 20 years earlier than straight people.

I understand studies that don't produce the results the lefties and the think tanks want are always either biased or skewed (yet their studies are supposed to be accepted as the gospel truth) but the bottom line is this:

You hired a Christian rock band then were upset when they preached the gospel. That's like a church hiring a gay activist and then being upset when he talks about alternative life styles.

What do you expect them to talk about?

Further, i find it funny that the same people who will defend to death Muslims - one of the most intolerant and oppressive religions on the planet - and will rally in black churches -- where people are generally the most intolerant of gay lifestyles -- when they need to makes sure the black folks get out and vote, go ape shit every time an Evangelical -- generally read: White, American and conservative - talks about his or her beliefs.

This is political pandering and bullshit.

NOBODY should have to apologize for their religious beliefs, even if they offend the sensibilities of the politically correct whiny assholes out there who are arrogant enough to believe that tolerance means we have to agree with them.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stop whining.

Draft saved Draft deleted