1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian fried Rice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Because ... bloody hell, how do I finesse this without starting a shitstorm? I can't? Then I better just say it ... because it's a lot easier to have Christ as a "central role in her life" in the abstract than in the practice. Otherwise, she'd still be a Christian, which just means "little Christ" anyway. If after 12 years of claiming to be a Christian, she still defines the faith exclusively by the actions of the most idealogically conservative and tempermentally reactionary of the Catholic church, then I wonder if she missed the point all along. It'd be like my becoming a baseball fan, then 12 years later in the name of Abner Doubleday no longer liking the sport because I don't like how the Yankees do business.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's too bad the last 30-35 years of popes have put the official Catholic Church in about the same ideological neighborhood as the Southern Baptists, with the same ideological cleansing process. Vatican II was a wonderful work of progress and inclusiveness; now about all that seems to be left of it is not having to have masses in Latin.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My thoughts as well. Your beliefs are your own. Don't try to blame others for your lack of belief. And don't issue a press release trying to make it all about you.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There is a distinct Protestant denomination known as the Christian Church. In fact, it's the leading plurality denomination in hundreds of counties in the United States.

http://www.disciples.org/

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

How do you "convert from atheism?"
    Atheism is not a religion.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I found it humorous that she tried to prove her point about general "Christian" intolerance by referencing a punk rock ministry and the Westboro Baptists.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jul/30/anne-rice-quits-being-christian

It's all semantics.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Giving up Christianity because Fred Phelps is an asshole is like moving out of the country because ... ... well, I struggle to think of someone both famous, insignificant and extreme enough to be the same.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Mel Gibson

Draft saved Draft deleted