1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Snow - New director of hockey operations for the Minnesota Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 14, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Martzke was also Brent Musberger's personal cheerleader and cabana boy.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, that would be pissing off the players. That wouldn't piss off management. Maybe that was his dry run.

3. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Quote from the Star-Trib story...

He was looking to make a career change?

He was looking to make a career change.

OK.

A career change. Yeah, it must really suck to be the fucking beat writer for the Red Sox.

No prep gamers, no taking prep phone calls night after night...you graduate from college, get a top hockey beat job, then get one of the best baseball beat jobs in the country. If not the best.

And he was looking to make a career change.

This guy probably has the most blessed, fortunate career...set for life...and he wants to change that career.

I'm sorry, I'm just repeating it because I'm so stunned. Wow.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah because the Sox job is a piece of cake and never burns anyone out.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe he decided he didn't want to be a beat writer anymore.

I know a handful of people who went to law school, articled, wrote their bar admission tests and then decided law wasn't for them. And they ended up in the book biz where they'd make substantially less money. Could be the same thing here.

Sometimes what you think you want to do at 21 isn't what you really want at all.

6. How did this guy not go through Rocky Mount (or the Boston Globe of 15,000 circ. papers as I call it), Jeff? I thought that was the progression of a great writer. Put in your time at the prestigious Telegram, then it's on to better things.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Set for life? I'm confused. Isn't every other thread on the journalism board about how much the pay scale for journalists sucks?

Set for life is winning the lottery, not being a Red Sox beat writer.

8. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Indeed my good friend...was just relating what I was told by the green ink stained scribblers

9. shecky

shecky Member

So he wanted a change. Big deal. So far as I know, there are no parameters regarding the proper time to make a career change. He was fortunate because he's good. Get over it. Take off the green-tinted glasses and take it for what it is.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

So let's say you have this conversation with 95 percent of this country's population.

POPULUS: So what do you do?
    YOU: Well, I usually go to work at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and, most nights, I don't return until after midnight. For eight months a year, I might get one day off a week. And, when I do get that day off, it's rarely a Friday or a Saturday. And even then, I'm on call. It's not a very glorious job. Many times I'm being bitched at, or at least looked down upon, by people who make 20 times more money than I do. And if I make a mistake, I have an entire city, not to mention a message board of my peers, waiting to jump on my back.
    POPULUS: Wow, you must make a lot of money.
    YOU: I drive a Honda Accord.

Now, what do you think the populus will say about your choice of profession?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

For complete honesty, you must throw in "I'm the beat writer for the Boston Red Sox. I travel with the team, get to know the team, am a definitive voice on this most popular of teams, and many people look to my writing for insight on the Red Sox, a team with a very enviable following. And also, I am seen as an extreme rarity in my business because I have ascended so far so quickly."

The hours are the hours. Will being an NHL GM be any better, hours-wise? Sure, the pay is much better, but it occurs to me that Mr. Snow was on a career fast track that had him pegged for greatness while the bulk of us in this business will spend our entire lives grasping with futility for that elusive brass ring.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

So he should stay at the Globe because he's achieved our dreams?

Draft saved Draft deleted