1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Snow - New director of hockey operations for the Minnesota Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 14, 2006.

1. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Again I don't know Chris and to be honest I don't really give a flyng shit about where he goes...Just relating info on a conversation I had with four gentleman concerning Chris...If you're calling bullshit that's fine..so be it. Glad to see that you're an open minded journalist as well.... If it's so important to you, PM me and I'll tell you when and who I spoke with about him. Have a great day.

2. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Michael, I defer to you since you have more insight into Chris than I do. On a side note-we met at Reggie Lewis some time ago and I've always enjoyed your work and don't think you get a fair shake by the dirtbags on WEEI

3. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

From the Wild's website

Wild Names Chris Snow Director of Hockey Operations

June 14, 2006

Minnesota Wild President and General Manager Doug Risebrough announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has hired Chris Snow as its Director of Hockey Operations.

“Chris brings tremendous work ethic and a high level of enthusiasm to this position, and we’re very confident his fresh outlook and insight will be an asset for the organization,” Risebrough said.

As Director of Hockey Operations, Snow will be responsible for many of the day-to-day duties of the hockey operations department, including monitoring rosters and salary commitments of other NHL teams, performing player contract and arbitration research and supporting team staff in training camps, team travel and scouting operations. Snow will also assist the club with statistical analysis of hockey at the amateur and professional level and will also work with www.wild.com to provide insight into player personnel and team information.

Snow, 24 (8/11/81), most recently was a staff writer for the Boston Globe, where he served as Boston Red Sox beat writer. Prior to that, he covered the 2003-04 Wild season for the Minneapolis Star Tribune. A graduate of Syracuse University, Snow interned for the Globe in 2001 and 2002 and also served as a sports intern at the Los Angeles Times.

Snow will begin his new role with the Wild later this summer.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok, so i don't see how this makes him a 'glorified administrative assistant' as JR suggested. he's a mid-level executive with the wild. presumably, someone would take this job with aspirations of becoming GM, like the way baseball now has several GMs who never played. as long as you get someone with playing and talent evaluation experience to do the nitty gritty talent evaluation, you don't have to be a former player to be a GM type. maybe i'm reading too much into this, but it sounds like the wild may be ahead of the game by hiring the equivalent of theo epstein (without the law degree).

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Paging Rosie... I want her thoughts on this...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess I had a preconceived notion of what the title Director of Hockey Operations would entail-a senior, second in command kind of job reporting directly to the president/owner.  I would have thought  the GM and head of scouting would report directly to the Ops director.

As described, this isn't a senior level position. Good entry level position though for a 24 year old.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

*OUTSTANDING mid-level position for a 24-year-old.

You can probably count on one hand the number of 24-year-old non-athletes in sports with that kind of gig.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're right. I was being understated.

As a matter of fact, you can count on one hand the number of 24 year olds getting a comparable job in just about ANY organization.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm having a little trouble getting around the idea that players would somehow resent or feel threatened by Chris Snow. In fact, I find it kind of laughable. But I can easily understand how a skilled person like Snow would become tired of reporting about what happens instead of affecting what happens. Sounds like he likes to keep challenging himself.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

It is not unprecedented for media to move into team management, although it's usually in the media relations department.

Larry Brooks of The New York Post spent nine years as vice-president of public relations for the New Jersey Devils (1982-1991). I don't cover the NBA much anymore, but David Benner of the Pacers used to be the team's beat writer for The Indianapolis Star. He was excellent to deal with, by the way.

Current Los Angeles Dodgers GM Ned Colletti was a sportswriter before joining the Cubs staff, initially in pr as well.

This current job would put Snow below Risebrough, Lynn and Thompson in the Wild's social order. But it's a terrific position in which to learn. Those are bright guys with great insight. I say good for Snow. I haven't seen him since the NHL lockout, but I never had the impression he was an indecent character. If everyone on the team and the beat likes you, you're probably not doing a great job.

And I know plenty of people in the media -- print and broadcast -- who would love the opportunity to move into management. If it doesn't work out, I would be very interested in hiring him back, because what he'd learned and who he'd met would only make him a better reporter.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Marty Hurney, Carolina Panthers GM. Former sports writer, Washington Times.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elliotte, is this a guest appearance or are you back for good?

BTW, congrats on the CFL job.

Draft saved Draft deleted