1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Snow - New director of hockey operations for the Minnesota Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 14, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I agree. And what a huge coup for the Wild, considering Snow left Minnesota for not only a chance to work close to home but also for what everyone said was his dream job, at the Globe.

Not only that, he was apparently doing terrific work on the Bosox beat and had been ever since he got there.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thanks, JR. That hurts, man. ;D

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I remember hearing Snow had a very in-depth knowledge of the NHL, far more than any beat writer might have. His thoughts on management, drafts, etc., were what put his reporting over the top and he had built a lot of respect within the league in a short time. Perhaps this is what the Wild recognized. Clearly he left an impression on someone while he was in Minny. Congrats to Chris.  

4. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Maybe it's a position that will allow Risebrough to concentrate more on the big club. With the dual title, he was involved in a lot of the marketing and off-ice stuff. ... Snow could be in charge of the minor league system and overseeing the draft.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Here is a bio of one hockey ops director, selected at random, from among recent NHL media guides.

“He coordinates the efforts of the club's scouting staff, handles research in advance of contract negitoations and arbitration hearings and serves as a liaison between the club and NHL on matters involving the Collective Bargaining Agreement. He also scouts games in the NHL, AHL, ECHL and Central Collegiate Hockey Association for the club.”

On the masthead, this person is eighth on the “Hockey Operations” ladder behind coach, associate coach, assistant coach, GK coach, director of player personnel, director of pro scouting and director of player development.

Hockey Operations is grouped third behind Ownership and Executive Staff.

6. Just a thought - but who now is better positioned to write an "inside the NHL" book than Chris Snow? I'm betting he's keeping a diary.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Dear Diary,

I think Lou is on to me. Must execute plan earlier than expected.

Love,
    Chris

8. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

None of the Red Sox will be shedding any tears about Snow's departure......

9. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

The Sox PR guys are doing a dance ribght now as well

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm sure they are still exchanging Christmas cards with the other former beat writers, though.

11. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

You know you're percieved as an a-hole when David Ortiz dosn't fancy you!!!

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why's that?

Draft saved Draft deleted