1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Snow - New director of hockey operations for the Minnesota Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 14, 2006.

1. Wow! Snow is only 24. Beat writer for the Wild, then beat writer for the Red Sox and now this?

Talk about being an achiever (as well as a hell of a writer).

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/06/14/snow_accepts_job_with_wild/

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What a fuckin' stud. :D

Seriously, good for him. When you think about, it's actually hard to believe. Most at 24 are just starting out.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Bizarre.

4. Why can't the Boston Bruins get guys like this?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Director of hockey operations? Meaning he's going to have an active role in the franchise's on-ice product?

Wow. I would've thought director of media relations would be a jump but this would be an incredibly huge deal. Wonder what his hockey qualifications are, other than covering the Wild beat?

6. With Snow leaving the Globe maybe someone should post a job opportunity for the Red Sox beat on the other board? Wonder who the Globe puts in to take his place? Cafardo?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He's an F'IN STUD!  Do you not read this board?? Pay attention!

8. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Bizarre. Anybody else think of this happening before at the major-league level?

Be interested to see what his duties will be. I've heard their PR department is pretty solid so I doubt he'll be involved in that.

Congrats.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Will someone with more cyber abilities than my own please take my new and as yet unanswered thread on this topic on the journalism board entitled "An Interesting Career Move" and move it to this thread?
    An old fart thanks you.

10. 85bears

85bears Member

This is definitely bizarre and more than a little bit troublesome. If beat writers begin realizing that beats can be the way to a lucrative position with the teams they cover ... I shudder to think.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interesting but why is there nothing on the Wild site or in the St. Paul Star-Tribune?

This hiring means he breaks Gord Stellicks' "youngest ever GM" record. Hope he has better luck than Dr. G.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Done. Here's Michael's post from the journalism board:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In a teeny-tiny box on the third sports page this morning, the Boston Globe announced that Red Sox bear writer Chris Snow is leaving the paper to become director of hockey operations for the Minnesota Wild. The news leaves me with several questions and one observation. For the record, I know Chris very slightly. He was coming in as I was going out of Boston sportswriting.
    Question One is fact-specific and is directed to our Minnesota area correspondents. I'm not familiar with the Wild's table of organization. Does Chris' title mean he's going to wield real power, or is it more of an advisory position for the man who still makes the decisions? Either way, Minnesota's certainly thinking outside the box here. Chris is younger than most NHL players.
    Question Two is more philosophical. Chris Snow is a very talented guy and has earned what he's gotten in this field. There's no denying, however, he didn't exactly work up the ladder the hard way. School paper at Syracuse, intern at the Globe and LA TImes, hockey writer for Minn. Star-Trib, Red Sox beat writer at Globe, all by age 25. What does it say that Snow is leaving the premier beat gig in New England and maybe in the nation. It can't be frickin' burnout. He's too young.
    If Chris decided he'd rather be in a game than cover one, that's understandable and admirable. If he took a cold look at his future, which had limitless sportswriting options, and decided the National Hockey League was a better bet than newspapers, a man thirty years his senior with fewer options is not encouraged.
    Discuss please.
    I never read a single Snow article on hockey in the Star-Trib. They sure must have been good ones, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted