1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Matthews just retired on the air

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Shepard Smith?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am going to guess Joy Reid gets that spot and her weekend show goes to someone else.

Kornacki is brilliant in his own way but can't really carry a show.

I like Hallie Jackson but she is preggers and a better reporter than host.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kornacki would not do well without election-related adrenaline. Given the circumstances of Chris's "retirement" I'm guessing the host will be a woman. NBC has many talented women reporters who could do this infinitely better than Matthews, who really has recovered from Tip O'Neill's death -- 25 years ago.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting idea with Smith. I don't know what he brings to the table though. CBS could use him. Have him become the new "face" of 60 Minutes, do a nightly news show on their streaming platform.
    TV News is a tough gig - how many people seemed to be at the "top of their profession" - hosting a show, making $5m a year or whatever, then the next time you see them is in an infomercial peddling gold coins or a revolutionary new cooking gadget.

maumann likes this.
  5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Who's worse, Matthews or Todd?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Both are completely unwatchable.

Tweener and TigerVols like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They're both members of the NY-DC chattering class - talking to the same people, consultants, etc but likely haven't met a "real voter" unless it's arranged for them by a producer.

Liut likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That is just not true. Chris Matthews didn't give a shit about anything if it wasn't coming from a diner-goer in Scranton who hasn't voted Democrat since Jimmy Carter.

britwrit, Webster and melock like this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sounds like O’Reilly

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Todd, because he's still there. I'm to the point that I no longer watch MTP. I do Fox with Chris Wallace and This Week with George.

Draft saved Draft deleted