1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Lofton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, May 1, 2008.

1. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Hey Ryan, I'm sure you would have been all over this thing, eh hoss?

This is a tremendous story, the best I've read in some time considering the fact that no one (including all but one player on Tennessee's team) knew the star player had cancer.

Amazing. Simply a fantastic job by a fantastic reporter. Chris Low is as good as it gets. Any fool who chides other reporters for being behind on something like this and to someone like Low has rarely competed in the big leagues of our business, I'd bet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chris Low is nails. My experience with him is that he's hard-working, open to judicious editing, and breaks news like mad.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree. It is an amazing story and a great job by the guy who broke it. I was simply wondering why it took a year for this to get out, especially with the way Pearl likes to run his yap. I doubt I'm the only one wondering that. Even more amazing than the story is the job the school did in keeping this under wraps.

I wasn't chiding anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Awesome avatar, Flip Side :D

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Amazing story. Looking back, Lofton's performances make perfect sense. I just can't imagine being able to stay quiet about it for so long, not because I would make excuses, but rather because I would lean on others to help me through the down times.

How Lofton got through it without anyone knowing is almost as remarkable as anything else reported in that story.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Lofton is from my neck of the (back)woods, and I'm not surprised by this. Very unassuming, private guy. Great story, though. It seems to me that every time I turned around this season, the Vols were on TV, and I remember saying something during the Memphis game to the point that something's wrong with him. He was just not 'on'.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, a great story that reinforces the notion that there are a lot of good people out there still.

With respect to the test, I thought the story was the results were not known until after the game.

He seemed like just too good a player to have the season he was having.

8. rube

rube Active Member

He wasn't "on" all season (compared to his past standards), and obviously we know why. I was never sure about his ability at the next level, as I don't think he has the size or athletic ability to thrive there ... but that's been said about him before. And this all just reinforces the character of this kid, no one would have blamed him if he redshirted, but he gutted it out.
    Terrific story.
    Great kid.
    And NBA or not, Chris Lofton will be successful at something -- you can bet on that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted