1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Leak's Wonderlic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

it's also football at a school that is highly regarded among public universities in the country. have you ever heard Leak speak?
    and did you not read where i said it was 8-of-12 that he got right, which would equate into a much higher score on the real test that a single-digit number.
    I understand what you were saying, but you are making a large generalization.

2. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Yes, I've heard Leak speak - no better or worse than Troy Smith, and you can't tell me Ohio State's football players all graduate with two degrees in molecular genetics, just Craig Krenzel (remember Andy Katzenmoyer?) And OSU's not exactly chicken shit when it comes to being a highly regarded public university, either.

For every Krenzel, there's about 50 Katzenmoyers. Not saying Leak's on either end of the spectrum, but it's a provable fact that most football players are closer to the Katznemoyer level of the scale (and by provable, I mean look at the lists of players being named Academic All-America - a lot have GPAs closer to the minimum of 3.20 than they do to a 4.00, and some my favorite majors are represented: "Physical Activity and Exercise," "Geography" and "Construction Management."

Is it a stereotype that football players are dumb? Sure it is. But most of the time, stereotypes are founded in some level of truth.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Amen to that. I'm sure there is some reason why 40 yards was chosen, but in terms of game action it seems like a pretty arbitrary number to choose. How often does a player run 40 yards in a straight line unostructed? RB's, what once a season? Maybe a little more for a WR. QB, 0-Line, D-Line, LB, probably zero. It's just ridiculous how gm's allow themselves to be influenced more by comine results in some cases than what they saw in the 3 or 4 years of what a kid did ON THE FIELD. Although I can see how important it is to know what a left guard's vertical leap is ::)

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20050418-9999-1s18forty.html

Draft saved Draft deleted