1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Kluwe Explains Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JC, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Chris Kluwe sends letter to a politician who asked the Ravens owner to have his players not speak out on the issue after Brendon Ayanbadejo comes out in support of gay marriage.

http://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wont-magically-turn-you-into-a-lustful-cockmonster-chris-kluwe-explains-gay-marriage-to-the-politician-who-is-offended-by-an-nfl-player-supporting-it?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Wow, that was pretty darn fantastic.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty terrible. I mean, it was fine within the Deadspin realm and to entertain people. But if he is actually trying to persuade people to his position he couldn't have come across as any more juvenile. It's the kind of immaturity that gay marriage opponents can use for their own purposes, too.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Greatest thing I've read in months. Holy fucking shitballs.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is it too late for me to get "Kluwe's Lustful Cockmonsters" entered in a fantasy football league?

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Juvenile? He's quoting the Constitution, and correctly applying the First Amendment (which most people are not able to do).

He uses hyperbole to make his point, but it didn't come off as immature to me.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, first of all he is wrong about the First Amendment, but that's such a common mistake it isn't worth arguing about anymore.

He also uses the words "fromunda," "mindfucking," "holy fucking shitballs." I am going to say those aren't direct quotes from the Constitution. And at several junctures he just resorts to name-calling.

Tremendously juvenile. And actually, probably not the kind of thing that Ayanbadejo and others who take the fight seriously would appreciate all that much.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've heard the open-letter format is smug and pretentious.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Awesome, in every way.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, he is not. I guess we can add Kluwe and yourself to the lengthy list of those who don't understand what a First Amendment violation is.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

An elected government official attempting, in writing, to influence an owner of a highly-taxpayer-funded commercial enterprise to coerce an employee out of exercising his free speech rights absolutely DOES tiptoe right up to (and stomp on) the edges of the First Amendment.

Why didn't Burns just sidle up next to Biscotti in his platinum-plated luxury box at the next Ravens game (pretty much all politicians have access to platinum-plated luxury boxes at NFL games -- the owners know they need to keep their bread buttered and keep all that tax moolah flowing in) and just TELL him that he needs to bring the hammer down? Don't leave a paper trail, dummy.

And the response is indeed awesome. And to anybody offended -- tough fucking shit. Funny how they always cry people are being rude and crude and lewd and naughty and nasty any time anybody dares to blow the whistle on them.

And that's from somebody for whom gay marriage is about the 837 gazillionth-ranking issue on my plate.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Could he have used more adjectives?

Draft saved Draft deleted