1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Kluwe burning bridges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered one guy who had been a superstar earlier in his career and was brought in by the team I covered for basically one final year, primarily as a role player. He was known for being loud and opinionated, but he probably didn't say more than a few words all season long and then he retired at the end of the year. A couple years later, he was a guest on the radio show that I did and we were chatting during one of the breaks and I said, "I just assumed, based on your last season here that you hated dealing with the media," and he said, "No, they told me point blank when I was signed that if I created any shit, I would be cut immediately."

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Kluwe says think I'm lying? Sue me:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/238619111.html

Strib article with a link to the interview conducted on KFAN earlier today.

3. Mizzougrad96

He's smart enough to know no one is suing him.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I could have sworn a knife was his weapon of choice.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think this is the money quote from that piece that makes me really believe Kluwe's side:

The funny thing is that now that's he's lumped Mike Priefer in with this controversy, there's a very real chance Priefer doesn't get the coaching job in Minnesota. If this happens, he will have essentially cost Priefer a job in the same way he says Priefer cost him a job: by being a PR liability who isn't worth the trouble.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not for what he's in jail for now, right?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I like the thread title as is. Makes me want to watch "Kelly's Heroes," which is never a bad thing.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He's better know for what he probably did to his wife, however.

9. Mizzougrad96

It's interesting... No player is going to confirm Kluwe's story for the same reason Kluwe isn't going to be sued. Nobody wants to get involved.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

In the interview I linked it is put forth toward the end (not by Kluwe) that there is one other person who was at the special teams meeting where Priefer allegedly made the "nuke" comment. Let's see what happens with that.

There are different directions this could take as it all plays out.

Edit: At the 21:00 mark.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Also, whenever a crisis hits, nobody lets the air out of the ball as well as the NFL. Look at the Martin-Incognito case. Whenever they get around to a "ruling" on that, it's going to be a big old shoulder shrug.

12. Mizzougrad96

No kidding. No sport does a better job killing a big story than the NFL. Nobody has talked about the Martin-Incognito case, the Redskins team name, concussions in quite some time...

Draft saved Draft deleted