1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Kluwe burning bridges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, we already know certain teams have no problems with psychopathic dog killers and redneck racists.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Basically, for any football coach, a "distraction" is defined as a "player having an independent thought that is not completely in line with what I think or what I believe the prevailing culture to be."

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What kind of idiot would speak out in favor of gun violence?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oops.

Against gun violence.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll change that just a tad:
    Basically, for any football coach, a "distraction" is defined as a "player having an independent thought that takes even one second away from game planning for this week's opponent."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

O.J. Simpson

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Jovan Belcher

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Blair Walsh is a damn good kicker who just finished his second year. He's got more than enough job security.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Walsh is one of the best kickers in the league, but he's young enough that he's content to tow the company line. His version also might be completely true. I wouldn't suspect Priefer would treat Walsh the same way he would treat Kluwe.

Priefer will be back in the NFL before Kluwe, Ayanbadejo and Kerry Rhodes are.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For all the talk about Walsh's statement, at no point does he say "I never heard Mike say anything like that." Says it doesn't sound like Priefer and vouches for his character overall, but low on specifics.

I don't think it will ever get to the "witness" stage Kluwe talked about, because the Vikings certainly have nothing to gain from that, but Walsh under oath is much different from Walsh in a team-coordinated statement.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly, on all counts...

Kluwe may truly believe his views were the reason the Vikings drafted a kicker and then cut him. Maybe they are, but unless Spielman told him that, that's just his opinion.

Although if there is a GM who is dumb enough to tell a player he was cut because of his views, it would be Spielman. :D

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Kluwe is a smart guy, though maybe not as smart as he thinks he is.

I know a lot of people, myself included, who temper our public comments and behavior as a nod to continued employment. Sure, we can be within our rights to shout out our social views from mountaintops and call out close-minded employers, but that path of most resistance isn't for everybody. And Kluwe's dealing with a cumulative effect here -- he has been outspoken about a lot of things, turning into noise for a franchise dipping deep into public pockets for its new stadium.

And punters = replaceable.

Draft saved Draft deleted