1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Kluwe burning bridges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh good grief, it's the slug on a fucking message board post. I wanted to keep it short. Sorry I didn't write "Kluwe claims he was fired by a bigot and two cowards thanks to his stance on marriage equality which runs counter to the meathead attitudes many folks in football have."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What just destroys me inside is that Mariotti is a really strong writer.

But holy mother of god, this:

Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/how-an-nfl-punter-let-low-lifes-ruin-a-career/#3jCgeUSTwKYQGjGc.99

I'm not going to post any excerpts, because I think he could possibly be vindictive enough to napalm someone over criticism, and I don't feel like defending a copyright violation lawsuit. But let me say the ad hominem material about Deadspin and the people who run it, from him, requires Epcot-sized brass balls.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You could have abbreviated it.

KCHWFBABATCTTHSOMEWRCTTMAMFIFH

There. Still fits. Raises the curiosity factor, too.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You could also spin it that he is a victim of the NFL/NFLPA agreement to require longevity to be compensated. He might -- emphasis on might -- have been able to find a buyer for his services but for the CBA that specifies a minimum price for those services.

5. Dick Whitman

Jason Collins and Chris Kluwe are two seemingly bright individuals who, nonetheless, do not grasp that teams no longer pay for "experience." Not in a salary cap situation.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is very possible that Walsh and Kluwe are both 100 percent telling the truth. Priefer might have said one thing to Kluwe and Walsh might have seen him as someone completely different.

Kluwe is not your typical NFL player and that's not saying "All NFL players are dumb" by any stretch. There are a lot of very smart players in the NFL who know it's not in their best interest to create waves. I respect the hell out of Kluwe for being vocal about an issue that is important to him, but if you do that, you had better be one of the best players in the league at what you do. At his best, Kluwe was a solid, better than average NFL punter. Nobody was confusing him with Andy Lee or Shane Lechler.

7. Mizzougrad96

Right, and nobody is going to sign a "fringe" player if they bring any kind of distraction.

8. Dick Whitman

It's similar to Tim Tebow, which is interesting because Kluwe and Tebow couldn't be more different, politically. But in each case, it's not a bias against their particular causes. If anything, it's a bias against having ANY cause.

9. Mizzougrad96

Absolutely. I stood and watched a PR guy talk two players out of going to political rallies one year. Both were for different candidates. I asked one of them about it and he said, "I get it. I don't want to do anything that would give the impression that I think anything I do is more important than the team."

It seemed ridiculous, but that's how much teams care about anything that could be a distraction.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, except for most below-felony criminal activity and baby mommas.

11. Dick Whitman

Teams, I swear, would have a bigger problem with a player speaking out in favor of gun violence than they would with a player committing it. That's an exaggeration, but not by much.

12. Mizzougrad96

I don't even know if it's an exaggerration.

If you took most NFL GMs and said, "Which would you rather happen to your star player?"

Arrested for possessing an assault rifle or Speaking out publicly in favor of gay rights?

I'll bet the majority would pick the assault rifle. To be fair, the media would shrug their shoulders at the rifle as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted