1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones vs. Slate's Tom Scocca, Part ... 3?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by secretariat, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

You're welcome, Boom. I'll take a shot of Macallan if you're feeling especially grateful.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/scocca/archive/2011/04/21/what-would-chris-jones-think-of-the-new-chris-jones-article.aspx

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes! These threads are the best.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Even when I don't agree with everything in it, I really like Jones' blog.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who's Chris Jones?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hope this is all a concerted effort by Jones, Scocca, Whitlock, etc. to generate publicity. I'm guessing the traffic at Jones' blog rises significantly with every one of these "feuds."

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Scocca's original point was ridiculous, as Jones noted. A freelance writer would not have a prayer of writing a profile of, say, Angelina Jolie for Esquire.

"I'll get a sitdown with her and Maddox!"

But if he has an idea that hasn't been done before - maybe it's about some small-town scandal or some 90-year-old former bank robber or some other, yes, obscure person or incident - he'd have a chance, if he pitched that. I don't get why that fairly obvious fact has set him off on this ongoing fatwa.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sounds like a dead-to-nuts right analysis of a cupcake. I don't see the problem.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Here's the link to the actual article:

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/jeff-bridges-music-0511?page=all

I don't read a lot of celebrity profiles, but I love the mood of this piece. I could not care less about Scocca's points. It's a highly enjoyable read.

And this is getting stupid.

10. jgorden

jgorden New Member

The Attention Whore of Montana is pleased. Quite pleased.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like Scocca and Slate in general though because they do weird articles like that.

Chris Jones strikes me as an incredibly talented writer, but maybe not the greatest guy in the world if you're looking for tips on writing. Michael Jordan can't evaluate NBA talent, so I'm not sure what the big deal is; talent in a discipline does not necessarily correlate to you being able to identify or teach that talent. I imagine that a lot of people reading Jones' site are doing it because it features more of his writing, not because they're getting 100 percent out of his profile writing tips.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Heck, let's really get the flames going by linking to a Jones blog post about Charles Pierce's eulogy for Clif Garboden. Jones AND Pierce, release the hounds!!!

http://sonofboldventure.blogspot.com/2011/04/parting-glass.html#more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.